replace pump in old potterton

ogc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
not hot water no ch. 1 bed top floor flat
there is power being supplied to the pump but there is no ignition or demand light coming on.
called a plumber out who told me that the pump was to powerful for the boiler we have(potterton lynx mk 2)and that it was knackered basically.
could it be that it just needs a clean?

got british gas to come and quote for a supply and fit new boiler.£3000.
:eek:

im willing to spend a £1000 on a new boiler and fit but thats taking the pees.

i have now for the time being just decided that i can only really afford to replace the pump.

does anyone know realisticly how much i should be charged for supply and fit of a pump for this boiler.

appreciated

still have no hw or ch.

Sponsored Links
Where do you live? Prices vary with locality

you say there's power to the pump but you don't say whether or not it's actually running. Pump too powerful for the boiler?????? the lynx has a 6m pump fitted from factory so i suggest you get another heating engineer who knows what he's talking about to give you a second opinion.

i live in south east london

the pump to my knowledge isnt running and the pump has been replaced already with a grunfoss?

i have been quoted 300 to replace the danfoss.

i will take your advice weargas but thats the whole point how do i know who knows what their talking about.

where to look?

Sponsored Links
ogc said:
got british gas to come and quote for a supply and fit new boiler.£3000.
:eek:

im willing to spend a £1000 on a new boiler and fit but thats taking the pees.

£1000 Now who's taking the pees???

why?

a boiler that would adequately service the flat would cost around £450-550

so what should i be paying for the installation?

ogc said:
the pump has been replaced already with a grunfoss?

Have a look on the front of the pump. Is it a 15/50 or a 15/60? If it's the latter then it's the right size pump. If it's the first then it still would work (theroretically). The pump has to run which operates the primary flow switch which tells the boiler to fire. If the pump is getting 240v has anyone tried taking the bleed screw out and inserting a screwdriver to see if the impellor is spinning freely?

ogc said:
why?

a boiler that would adequately service the flat would cost around £450-550

so what should i be paying for the installation?

It's you hot water and not the flat which determines boiler requirement - combis are all big enough for your CH.

Depends what needs doing but to clean the system and put boiler in same place, assuming you have trv's, big enough gas pipe etc, expect around £14-1500 total this time of year. Less if you don't clean system but you will risk shortening life of new boiler that way.

Look at the extras on the BG quote.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back