Replace tap valves with ceramic

4 Jan 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Apologies if this is a dumb question but I am replacing a few standard valves on my taps which have either seized up or dripping. I usually replace the entire valve rather than just washer as the old are usually limescaled or corroded, and the valves are not expensive, circa £3 at B&Q where I purchased a couple today. I noticed that there were very similar valves alongside on the shelf, but had (blue or red for h/c) ceramic washers rather than rubber and were only slightly more expensive. Could I simply replace my usual valves with the ceramic type as they look as they will fit. Or will I need to replace the taps?
Sponsored Links
No, ceramic type taps need ceramic valves, I'm afraid, and they cannot replace the conventional rubber washered ones.
John :)
Ceramic inserts allow water to pass through the bottom, and then out through ports in the side.
If the insert doesn't bear down perfectly on the old tap seat, you wont be able to turn the water off.
John :)
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local