Replace Victorian Floorboards with solid floor???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I have an old Victorian terrace house. On the ground floor all I have is a kitchen (the house has been seperated into 2 dwellings)
My kitchen is floorboards over a crawl space..
I'd like to have a more solid floor so I can lay tiles etc but also because of silly things like the washing machine feeling like its shaking the house to bits whenever it spins on the floorboards... The wooden floors in the rest of the house I love but I would be a lot happier with a nice solid ground floor.

Any ideas on my options??
In an ideal world I would love to just pull up the floorboards and fill with concrete but I'm told this isn't that simple sadly!!

Sponsored Links
Replacing a suspended floor with concrete can create all kinds of knock-on difficulties.

Millions of appliances (and pumps) are located on upper floors and work quietly and without shaking everything.

Research on this site (plumbing and appliance forums), and google for many tips - such as using rubber mat dampers and/or heavy concrete flags and more ...

Laying tiles is a separate issue - why not post a separate question?

Replacing a suspended floor with concrete can create all kinds of knock-on difficulties.

Millions of appliances (and pumps) are located on upper floors and work quietly and without shaking everything.

Research on this site (plumbing and appliance forums), and google for many tips - such as using rubber mat dampers and/or heavy concrete flags and more ...

Laying tiles is a separate issue - why not post a separate question?

I don't specifically want to lay tiles but would like the floor surface to be flat and strong enough should I wish too. Currently the floor dips off to the wall and just doesn't have that nice solid feel Like in my stone hallway.. Some people have said to put down a damp proof membrane and get it filled with cement, others say about removing all the floorboards and laying 18mm ply followed by self levelling mix
Any ideas??

I now notice that i'm replying to four separate posts by you essentially about the same subject?

Perhaps others would like to take up answering your posts.

Sponsored Links
I now notice that i'm replying to four separate posts by you essentially about the same subject?

Perhaps others would like to take up answering your posts.

Yes sorry my other post got stuck on rodent advice when my real question is about replacing the floor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back