Replacement Boiler equivalent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
The inevitable has happened and after around 22 years my Ideal WLx RS60 boiler needs replacing.
Yesterday i was all for a new combi, but the more i have read and thought about it, i have decided to go for a condensing boiler and keep the hot water cylinder etc.Cannot be doing without heat and water with a combi if it goes wrong.
Our present boiler is in the garage and has caused us absolutely no problems in all these years, and even as knackered as it is (and leaking water slightly) with a bucket underneath!, the ole faithful is still working.
So, my question is, what would the equivalent boiler to this be in terms or reliability and size 60btu, and also the cost to replace? Are Ideal boilers as good now as my old one? Should i consider something different?
I have a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard (bungalow) and a 3 port valve and a grundfoss (is that how u spell it!) pump just above near the cylinder, i think that is for the hot water. SHould these all be replaced as well, apart from the 3 way port all the other parts i think are original.
Also the control panel for the boiler and water is in the airing cupboard.
Sorry for the long post, but really need some advice in picking a reliable replacement.
many Thanks
Lorraine.

Sponsored Links
Ideal boilers are not so good these days.

You would be better with a Worcester, Vaill or Viessmann heat only boiler.

The boilers are about £800 and the installation would be about £840 at our standard charge but a bit less if the installation is very straightforward.

You should have TRVs fitted to most rads when a boiler is changed. £35 each for Drayton TRV4s, less for cheap rubbish.

If the cylinder is copper it should be replaced, if its yellow foam it better changed as it will reheat, if its green or blue than its fine.

Your old boiler has been reliable because its simple. The same applies to any maker from that era.

Tony

Hi Agile,
Thanks for your reply. Yes i do have a yellow tank!
I am now swaying back to a combi,doh! Speaking with others, they say that all new boilers whether it be just heat only or combi are as reliable as each other, due to the fact that these days its mostly electronic boards and so on inside. Nothing is as simple as years ago eh!
The combi would be a good option as it would free up my airing cupboard for storage as only have a small 3 bed bungalow, so perhaps this is the route to take.
I was advised to go with a 37kw one because of the improved water flow.
I was also told that either W.Bosch or Vaillant were good ones and to go with an A rated energy one, bit more expensive for me, but it looks like these ones actually store hot water in them, so may be better.
I hate these decisions, so blooming difficult, my hubby just looks and nods and leaves me too it....argghhh....
Thanks again, and any more advice will be greatly received.
Lorraine.

I would advise keeping the cylinder system.

We charge an extra £400 to convert to a combi.

Only a storage combi has storage in it.

The gas and water supplies have to be adequate for a high power combi.

A large combi is about £900-£1400 to buy. The Viessmann is also good !

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi Tony,
Wow, thanks for your help.
My heart is telling me to keep to the cylinder system really. Just tempting for the extra space, buy hey, ive lived with the airing cupboard like it since the bungalow was new 22 years ago, LOL!
It will be less pipework, but then again a new cylinder, its all swings n roundabouts isnt it? But then i will still have a nice warm airing cupboard.
What size boiler would i need to replace mine with a normal condensing boiler? What sort of price should i expect to pay?
Thanks again
Lorraine

OOps, just reread and seen the price of the boilers, around £800 :)

I would advise keeping the cylinder system.

We charge an extra £400 to convert to a combi.
Tony

I would disagree. It will cost more than £400 in parts/labour to go from a straight swap to combi! Unless you are hooking onto old hot water supply pipework with the associated problems that brings, or hoping on a small length of uprated gas pipework.

If the OP wants a reliable heat only boiler then I would suggest looking at the Atag 17kw open vent A series boiler. PM if you want the sales blurb and instructions for the boiler. If you are happy with a cylinder system there is no need to change to a combi.

You are the only one on here who thinks thats acceptable/low.

Everyone else says they charge LESS ! Or are they just being intentionally argumentative as usual?

They criticise me for charging so much !

Our boiler install charge of £840 covers the first 3m of upgraded gas supply pipe.

Tony

Ideal boilers do not get a good write up on this site. You can draw your own conclusions from that. ;)

All boilers are condensing. A combi is just one which produces instant hot water. What you are looking for is a heat only boiler, which stores the hot water in a cylinder.

I would not base the size of your new boiler on your existing as sizing was not so accurate 22 years ago and there may have been other changes since then, e.g insulation, double glazing etc.

So you need to do two things:

Use the Energy Saving Trust Boiler Sizing Wizard to get the correct size for your boiler.

Use the Stelrad Elite Catalogue to find out the approximate heat output of your rads.

Post the results of both checks for more advice.

As for the pump and motorized valve, the installer will be better placed to advise on their replacement.

What controls do you have, you say they are in the cupboard? Do you have just a timer/programmer or are there also room and cylinder thermostats?

You are the only one on here who thinks thats acceptable/low.

Everyone else says they charge LESS ! Or are they just being intentionally argumentative as usual?

They criticise me for charging so much !

Everyone can set their own price and may have other reasons for charging less. I don't think its possible to say on this forum exactly how much a, b or c will cost. A ballpark yes.
Having said all that, I don't think Lolly realised a new boiler would cost £800! You could probably get a new system installed for that 20 years ago:)

The most important thing is to find a good installer. You can buy the best boiler on the market, if it is poorly installed, you will have plenty of problems.
That doesn't mean that if you install an Ideal correctly, it suddenly becomes a good boiler.
Your gasbill will be the lowest in you get rid of the cylinder, and change to a combi. Also highly recommend getting rid of the tank, and convert to a sealed system; tanks in the loft are a bit outdated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back