replacement boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi , can anyone help . i have a glowrm spacesaver mk2, and would like to change it to a worcester any ideas please

Sponsored Links
Vailant have abominable service, and their products are nothing like they used to be. They have now a premium rate number to call for info, and the last time I needed some details urgently, it took 64 minutes. And I am not paying that out of my pocket, neither will any other engineer.
Ask yourself if you want to pay that every time the boiler goes wrong.
Search the forum and look at faq; hundreds of posts on the subject

Sponsored Links
I agree the way Vaillant charge for phone enquiries, is shameful.

The product, in terms of the German 6,8 and 9 series are good. Perhaps not as good as their 1980s stuff, but no one would afford that now.

The UK division have been overrun with Glowworm knuckle draggers. Lets hope they decide to ditch the premium rate lines, otherwise I can see them handing market share to Worcester on a plate.

I only install WB CDI, and they are very quiet, reliable medium to large combis. So far never had a call back for a mkii, nor for a mki, and only 2 repairs on the predecessor, the greenstar HE, and one of those was lightning blowing out the display.
Junior and i-series decidedly less though.
Vailant are easier to work on than WB, but WB are more reliable and have easily the best back up and service of any brand in the UK.
All together probably not a whole lot between them, I just refuse to deal with people with an attitude, so Vailant will not sell a lot to me.

WB suck. Over designed, awkward to work on, installer unfriendly, but they answer their phones.

Vaillant, lot better product but carp phone lines, that is if you ever need them.

I have never had occasion to have to call them so no problem to me.

Fit a WB at your peril. You must ask yourself why everyone says they have great aftersales service, ie how do they know it is that good?

Because they have to keep using it :rolleyes:

Tank is 20 or 30 quid, and apart from that, open vented systems are a thing of the past.
No advantages, several disadvantages.

More important than the actual make of the boiler, is the quality of the installer. A medium quality boiler that is installed and maintained properly will most likely outlive the most expensive boiler that is flung on the wall on a saturday morning.

Ask friends and neighbours for their experiences.
Don't use company that is based far away.
Don't use a company where the "boss" does not personally know ALL the employees.
Don't trust a company that promotes cheap boilers
Don't use a company that spends a fortune on advertising; if they are any good, they don't have to.

...Fit a WB at your peril. You must ask yourself why everyone says they have great aftersales service, ie how do they know it is that good?

Because they have to keep using it :rolleyes:

Following that argument, warrantee is not important as the boiler won't break down.

Client where I was today had an ev, diverter, 2 pumps and a wet connector that suddenly started pooring water out, in 4 years; that is more defects in one Vailant, than on all the WB I have installed in the same period together.

Very poor workmanship, so either could be to blame.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back