Replacement cylinder Reg's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guy in work does not seem to think a replacement cylinder needed to have the appropriate controls attached (cyl stat\motorised valve\pumped etc) but i argued that it is a requirement of building Regs wheather its a new instal or replacement boiler or cylinder.

So am i right and if so where is the documentation that relates to this so that he can see it in black and white.

Anyone got any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Comes under part L, i think. If thats the bit covered by your energy efficency cert anyway.

A Tapstat is the minimum requirement on a replacement cylinder heated on a gravity system.

Under Part L1 of the Building Regs - Conservation of Fuel & Power, it is required that all heat emitting appliances that are being installed/replaced are done so to current standards.

Current standards for hot water cylinders require the system to have an interlock to avoid un-necessary firing of the boiler and also it requires the pipework to be lagged int he immediate area of the cylinder.

The interlock is not a physical device, it can only be achieved by means of a stat, motorised valve and correct wiring.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Cheers people

I've found it!!, i knew it was under PART L but couldnt find the documentation on the ODPM website, it was in a sub section.

I thought that a gravity fed DHW cylinder should have a minimum of a zone valve and stat, but just browsing a stat is the minimum :confused:

I've done my energy efficiency so i understand interlock etc..

Thanks for the replys.

bster wrote:

I thought that a gravity fed DHW cylinder should have a minimum of a zone valve and stat, but just browsing a stat is the minimum

You are supposed to advise them to update it fully but if they say no then a tapstat is the minimum.

Note: that is relevant only in an emergency situation (leaking cyl)

If "upgrade" then full boiler interlock req'd

Scatman - are you saying that if the cylinder is replaced because a fault appears (i.e leak) that a cylstat will meet the requirements?

BTW: is a tapstat the same as a cylstat?

bster said:
Scatman - are you saying that if the cylinder is replaced because a fault appears (i.e leak) that a cylstat will meet the requirements?

If the customer refuses a full upgrade a a "thermo-mechanical valve" is the minimum.

28mmtapstat.JPG

One of these.

wayhay a new valve! (i am sad but i'm a learner :D )

so this is acceptable if the refuse the min requirements but a cylinder stat on its own is not?

is the tap stat stand alone or connected to boiler etc (ie can it provide interlock?).

Just out of interest

if matey says nop to upgrade, where are you going to get a non part l cylinder from

Cos a Psrt L one sure aint gonna work on gravity :)

I know I have tried :oops:

They have already fitted a PART L cylinder and the electrician pointed out to the woman that it didnt meet min requirements! (very embarrassing for the company!) and the woman is throwing a fit (and rightly so IMHO).

Why wont they work anyway? (i'm presuming its to do with the high efficincy coil).

thats the baby

they are so restricted that they dont exactly allow for good circulation, even if you can get rid of all the air from it

:)

So is this tapstat defo the thing to use instead of a cyl stat and motorised valve if the costomer doesnt agree to the the minimum req's?

corgiman said:
Just out of interest

if matey says nop to upgrade, where are you going to get a non part l cylinder from

Cos a Psrt L one sure aint gonna work on gravity :)

I know I have tried :oops:

You should have asked the supplier to supply one that is suitable for a gravity system

From the range interweb site:
Hercal Cylinder and gravity circulation
In order to achieve faster re-heat times of the recently revised British standard, manufacturers have put more turns of coil into each cylinder. Since we have kept the coil centres the same this has reduced the angle of fall in the coil. As a result the gravity circulation can be impaired. We recommend that customers ask for "the cylinder coil to be suitable for gravity circulation". We will move the top coil connection upwards to restore sufficient "fall". The surface area still meets British Standards and there is no extra charge for the service

http://rangecylinders.co.uk/products/hercal/_hercal/index.html

You should have asked the supplier to supply one that is suitable for a gravity system

I'm only the £3:75\hr apprentice, nothing to do with me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back