Replacement door bell/chime transformer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would appreciate a heads-up on replacing a blown door bell/chime transformer.

The transformer, a very old Friedland "Surepunch" model sited in the loft space, went open circuit (though not before blowing a fuse in my old distribution box) and smells burnt. Because of the worrying burning smell, I removed transformer from it's 5 amp lighting circuit and replaced with a suitably rated mains junction box. Also booked in local electrician to sort out door bell transformer issue and replace old distribution box with new one, but that's a couple of weeks away.

Meanwhile, I'd like to educate myself a bit more about door bell/chime transformers so I better understand my options. I appreciate the entire old bell/chime setup could be replaced with a modern equivalent but I kind of like the idea of keeping the old setup going - albeit with a new power supply. I've contacted Honeywell Friedland and asked them to suggest a suitable replacement transformer. Heard nothing from them as yet so I started to Google and saw both stand-alone and DIN rail mounted transformers. Seeing as I'm having the old distribution box replaced, is a DIN rail mounted transformer designed to fit into a modern distribution box? Or should I opt for an equivalent transformer swap, assuming a suitable model is available (the bell/chime was wired to the Friedland transformer's 15V output - also had a 12V option - whereas 8V and 12V supplies seem much more common these days)? Maybe the old bell/chimes would work with a 12V feed?

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
One thing that is frequently overlooked is that the duty cycle of a transformer design to supply power to a door bell has to be very low. Supply the rated current continuously can result in a overheated and possibly failed transformer. A jammed on door bell or short circuit in the wiring can cause the transformer to over heat

1659613653423.png

One thing that is frequently overlooked is that the duty cycle of a transformer design to supply power to a door bell has to be very low. Supply the rated current continuously can result in a overheated and possibly failed transformer. A jammed on door bell or short circuit in the wiring can cause the transformer to over heat

I take your point about duty cycle. I didn't think of checking the chime box, wiring and bell-push for a short circuit so will do that. Thanks.

One safety question I forgot to ask: should the transformer (primaries) be protected by a low-rated fuse? Maybe a preceeding fused spur, or similar, would have prevented the apparent burning of the old transformer and the blowing of a 5A fuse in the distribution unit? There was a fuse (still intact) on the output of the transformer which should, I imagine, have blown had the chime, wiring or bell-push shorted or jammed on.

Sponsored Links
No the transformer should be internally protected either by a fuse or heat sensor. Fused spurs are not required on a lighting circuit and will have no discrimination anyway against a 6a MCB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back