Bell Chime Transformer

Sponsored Links
You need an electrician to do that job.

Are you also replacing the bell itself?
Thank you for your reply, no not replacing the bell but adding an extra bell chime and the 8v 1a isn't adequate in the cu so bought 12v 1.5a as advised to replace it

If you're adding a 2nd chime in parallel to the first, then both will get 12V. 50% extra won't do the 8V one any good at all.

If you're adding it in series how do you know that the relative impedances will be such that the existing one will get 8V and the new one 4V?

Or is this a proper manufacturer's upgrade kit for the existing unit?

Sponsored Links
If you're adding a 2nd chime in parallel to the first, then both will get 12V. 50% extra won't do the 8V one any good at all.

If you're adding it in series how do you know that the relative impedances will be such that the existing one will get 8V and the new one 4V?

Or is this a proper manufacturer's upgrade kit for the existing unit?
Thanks again, yes i spoke to friedland supplier and he said i needed the 12v 2a (e3539n) unfortunatly its out of stock but he said while I was only using two chimes a 12v 1.5a (e3538n) would be ok.I need to take the 8v 1a transformer off the din rail and replace it with the 12v 1.5a transformer. Just asking for guideance with replacing ie switching RCD and mains switches off hopeing wiring straightforward.

I cant see why you need a 12v tranny, I'm sure I've used the 8v version with two chimes before :confused:

Some transformers you can adjust the secondary voltage too.

I cant see why you need a 12v tranny, I'm sure I've used the 8v version with two chimes before :confused:

Some transformers you can adjust the secondary voltage too.
Hi thanks for your reply, I spoke to Friedland bell chime suppliers they said that I could use a 12v 1.5a Transformer as the 12v 2a was out of stock, I have now replaced the 8v 1a with the 12v 1.5a and connected new bell chime in dinning room to the existing chime in the lounge and it works perfect. Thanks again

There are two ways.
1 Getting it to work.
2 Getting it to work within the parameters required by the regulations.

Unless you get permission from the consumer unit manufacture you can't fit anything to the unit. It is type tested and fitting any unauthorised part will invalidate the type testing.

You can fit a Friedland transformer in an enclosure but not in a consumer unit unless it is made by Friedland.

My door bell was designed to take an extra speaker remote from main one and a second door push which worked with a different sound to main one and was designed to run off either 6 x AA cells or a transformer. And there is no way that used even 1/2 an amp at 8v. I would say if the Friedland bell needs a 1.5A transformer then it should go in the bin and one should get a good one instead. Nearly said modern but mine has been working for 20 years so not really modern.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back