Replacement Fire Alarm Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I had an electrician over today for a small job and one of the things he noticed was how my mains powered smoke alarm was beeping randomly, he diagnosed this as needing a battery replacement, however trying to open it, he was not able to do so and I suggested replacing it.

He advised that he was able to do so but because of regulations will need to fit in an interconnected heat detector in the kitchen and replacement smoke alarm both having radio links.

He quoted £80 each for the smoke detector and heat detector and £85 for label, bringing the total to £245.

Is this reasonably priced ? or am I getting done over ?

Sponsored Links
Well, I would say it's a reasonable price for the work stated.

However, it's not mandatory to have it done so for a new battery it's very expensive.

Sponsored Links
And the fire brigade give away smoke alarms for free.

Surely it cannot be that difficult to replace the battery?
What brand and model type of smokes do you have? or can you upload a link or picture. Some units quarter twist off, some slide off, which will allow access to the battery holder, I have also seen some that allow access to battery without having to unmount the unit.

With regards to cost of units and installation the radio linked units are quite expensive, but if you take into account, time saved through installation and remedial work to any invasive work to fabric of building, then it will likely to be more cost effective.
This is how understand the requirements to be for let properties:

*Properties built after June 1992 must have mains operated smoke detectors fitted on each floor.

*Although there is no legislation requiring smoke detectors to be fitted in ordinary tenanted properties, a common law "duty of care" meaning that the landlord could be held liable should a fire cause injury where no smoke detectors are fitted.

So I would recommend that you at least cover each floor with a smoke alarm, I am unaware of the necessity for a heat sensor within a kitchen for an existing property!

I assume this is not a HMO?

If the flat is on one level then you only require the one alarm, if the property was built prior to 1992, a battery operated alarm could be used. They are not expensive and you may be able to get a freebie from your local fire officer!

But battery change cannot be that difficult, surely :!: :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back