Replacement floorboards too thick: solution?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I live in a Victorian terrace and in the past I've sanded and varnished the pine floor. A few of the floorboards had been badly damaged by woodworm and I've finally got round to replacing them. I sourced some reclaimed floorboards of the correct age and width however it seems I was slightly out on my measurement of the thickness.

The original boards are currently about 18mm (probably 19-20 before they were sanded) and the new ones are about 22mm. So obviously they will stand a bit proud. I had thought I could sand the difference off with a fairly substantial hand sander but a quick test at the weekend showed that this was going to take hours (using 40grit paper). My Dad suggested that I could just chisel out the 2-3mm difference from the bottom of the board where they lie on the joist; this seems like a good idea. I'm not sure though what would be the easiest way to do this accurately, I'm not so handy with a chisel that I can get to a mm accuracy. Would I be able to file or sand the back off with some tool? Any ideas? I don't really want to destroy any of the reclaimed boards as they were quite pricey.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Ah thanks. I'd never heard of a thickness planer - looks like it might well be perfect. Are they easy to use or am I likely to screw up some of the boards and/or a few of my limbs?

Sponsored Links
you could take the boards to you local timber merchant and ask them to plane them for you or you could use an electric plane

Ah thanks. I'd never heard of a thickness planer - looks like it might well be perfect. Are they easy to use or am I likely to screw up some of the boards and/or a few of my limbs?

I always thought it was called a planer thicknesser, but yeah, that's the jobby you want.

Do make sure that all the nails are removed from the reclaimed boards first, including any that have sheared off flush with the surface.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back