replacing floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i've got floorboards in a house i've just bought. Ideally i want to sand them down but before doing this i need to replace several small boards which have big knot holes or are damaged. I can remove them easily enough but dont know waht to replace them with. Older boards and reclaimed boards are a fortune to buy and the orginal boards that are down are a hundred years old. Can i get away with buying new boards to fill in the gaps? Am i right in thinking that once i sand the whole floor down and stain it, it will all blend in anyway or must i buy orginal boards?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you only need a few small pieces then I can't imagine it would cost too much. However you may still have a problem getting a good match. Is there somewhere else in your house where the boards are not exposed so that you can move a couple and then replace these with new.

No, looked all over and there aren't any spare boards that i could use. What i'm wondering is if i put new boards down from Wickes alongside the original ones, and then just sand down and stain the whole floor, will the floor look the same. or are the new boards going to stand out because they are newer wood?

If you are going to stain the original floor boards then it is possible to have a stain produced to match the finished boards. Stain the present boards and then send a sample of this along with a sample of the replacement boards off to WS Jenkins (0208 8082336) and they will produce a stain to match it.

I don't know how much it costs per litre, but a quick call will sort that out.

Simon

Sponsored Links
simon, there will always be a difference in colour between old boards and new boards, no matter how well the stain is matched up and even if you sand the old and new boards.
Over time this difference will fade, but it is something you'll have to be aware of (and accept ;))

It is true there is a a good chance there will be some difference. We have used this company to replicate fumed oak stain to match some fumed oak and the difference was negligable. That said it was not for flooring, it was for a display project at work where we needed to match other displays.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back