Replacement for Vaillant Ecotec Plus 937?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. We have a Vaillant Ecotec Plus 937 combination boiler in our house. It was here when we moved in five years ago and is coming up for ten years old. Since we moved in, we've had it repaired four times for various things, including a dip tube replacement, replacement diverter valve, replacement DHW heat exchanger and - last winter - a replacement PCB. Most of these repairs have been via Vaillant's fixed price repair and, whilst we've always got our money's worth out of this service, we've now spent around £1000 on repairs + the costs of having it serviced most years.

Whilst it's working fine at the moment we won't be spending any more money on repairs so, next time it breaks down, we will replace it. But, when this happens, I want to be ready to go online and confidently order the right sort of replacement installation - which is where I'd appreciate advice ...

We have a four bedroom house over three floors wih ten radiators and two bathrooms - one with a bath and shower over, the second with a shower only. There's just myself, my wife and our son. The Ecotec Plus 937 has hot water storage tanks built-in and supposedly offers hot water at some 19 litres per minutes. But given we have no particular need for running both showers or bath + shower at the same time, I am not sure we need the expense or complexity of this sort of boiler in a replacement. The likes of heatable and iheat recommend regular combi boilers, with no in-built tanks, around 30kw with around 14 litres per minute hot water. Would this sort of boiler be okay for us?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
What's your incoming mains flow rate? Normally you'd select a combi to maximise the use of the available incoming mains, but also ensure that it can modulate low enough to be efficient when running the central heating.

Whatever you get, if you are having it serviced, you should get something with a 7 or even 10 year guarantee.

What's your incoming mains flow rate? Normally you'd select a combi to maximise the use of the available incoming mains, but also ensure that it can modulate low enough to be efficient when running the central heating.

Thanks for this - I have checked and we're getting about 12 litres per minute from the mains and, having checked the commissioning record for the current Vaillant boiler, it states 11 litres per minute. So I'm guessing this 20 litre per minute flow rate on the current boiler is meaningless, and spending extra on a new boiler that delivers much higher than 12 litres per minute would be a waste of money.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for this - I have checked and we're getting about 12 litres per minute from the mains and, having checked the commissioning record for the current Vaillant boiler, it states 11 litres per minute. So I'm guessing this 20 litre per minute flow rate on the current boiler is meaningless, and spending extra on a new boiler that delivers much higher than 12 litres per minute would be a waste of money.
Exactly. If you want something that's the polar opposite in terms of complexity to what you have now, look at the Intergas Xclusive 30. Only 4 moving parts, no diverter valve or plate heat exchanger, 12 year warranty when fitted with the Intergas system filter. Put a decent OpenTherm based control on it and you'll enjoy great heating efficency too

Hello all. We have a Vaillant Ecotec Plus 937 combination boiler in our house. It was here when we moved in five years ago and is coming up for ten years old. Since we moved in, we've had it repaired four times for various things, including a dip tube replacement, replacement diverter valve, replacement DHW heat exchanger and - last winter - a replacement PCB. Most of these repairs have been via Vaillant's fixed price repair and, whilst we've always got our money's worth out of this service, we've now spent around £1000 on repairs + the costs of having it serviced most years.

Whilst it's working fine at the moment we won't be spending any more money on repairs so, next time it breaks down, we will replace it. But, when this happens, I want to be ready to go online and confidently order the right sort of replacement installation - which is where I'd appreciate advice ...

We have a four bedroom house over three floors wih ten radiators and two bathrooms - one with a bath and shower over, the second with a shower only. There's just myself, my wife and our son. The Ecotec Plus 937 has hot water storage tanks built-in and supposedly offers hot water at some 19 litres per minutes. But given we have no particular need for running both showers or bath + shower at the same time, I am not sure we need the expense or complexity of this sort of boiler in a replacement. The likes of heatable and iheat recommend regular combi boilers, with no in-built tanks, around 30kw with around 14 litres per minute hot water. Would this sort of boiler be okay for us?

Thanks in advance.
Hi
Googling a replacement for the same model and similar house over 3 levels. Can I ask what you went for if you have replaced it? Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back