Replacement for Water butt tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We got a water butt with a brittle plastic tap whose handle just broke off completely so that you can't open it any more (previously only some of the handle was missing and I managed to turn it with pliers). So I will need to replace that tap and investigated a little. It seems that the water butt itself is threaded and the tap just screws into it. It looks like a 3/4" inch thread (I haven't measured properly as the butt is full).
Rather than replacing the plastic tap with another one that will go brittle, can I replace it something better like a brass bib tap? Or any other recommendations?

Sponsored Links
A brass bib tap would be just fine so long as the threads match - which they should do.
A good few turns of PTFE tape with some thread sealant would be a good move.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I've used old sink (hand basin) taps on water butts before, just drill a hole and put the nut on the back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back