Replacing Water Butt Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone guide me on how to change a water butt tap. I currently have a Brass tap, which has seized up. I am planning on replacing it with a quater turn plastic tap. I cant get my arm to the bottom of the butt to hold nut.

Can you please let me know how I am supposed to change it, or is cutting the tap the only option?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Can you please let me know how I am supposed to change it, or is cutting the tap the only option?

Thank you
go to any good plumbers merchant and ask for a butt plug wrench. They will know what you mean.

Thank you
go to any good plumbers merchant and ask for a butt plug wrench. They will know what you mean.

I rang my local pluming centre and they said that they have never heard of one.

He did however suggest a box spanner?

I was also thinking if If I could get hold of an extending ratchet and the correct size socket for the nut do you think that will work?

Thank you

A box spanner from a plumbers shop - held in a set of water pump pliers should give you enough length to reach :idea: OR long bar - not extending ratchet - and a socket will also do ;)

Sponsored Links
A box spanner from a plumbers shop - held in a set of water pump pliers should give you enough length to reach :idea: OR long bar - not extending ratchet - and a socket will also do ;)

I am currently having a looking for a long bar/ Power bar and have come across:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-2-SWIVEL-HE...s_Equipment&hash=item5d2beddc47#ht_2043wt_905

I am wondering what is the best size drive to get?
Do I need to get every one or is there an adapter I can get so I can use the one bar with different drive sizes?

Apologies for all the questions, I just want to make sure I am getting the correct item for the job.

Thanks you

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
The one you have highlighted is correct :idea: Half inch Drive - commonest socket drive size - and you can get a socket for your car wheelnuts too. Look @ a Boot sale before you spend £25 ( Britool is a good make though ;) ) quite often perfectly good tools are on sale @ boot fairs

Tip butt over and crawl inside , get another to hold tap from outside, or clamp with a G clamp or similar. ;)

Tip butt over and crawl inside , get another to hold tap from outside, or clamp with a G clamp or similar. ;)
Yep - this is what I did. Crawled half inside, held nut with wrench and got wife to screw tap onto it from outside. Easy apart from the struggle to get back out again! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back