Replacement heating pump

Reaction score
Hi there,

My heating pump has stopped working. I'm not 100% sure what to replace it with as the model is discontinued, I'm looking here:

https://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-plumbing/pumps/cat5170016

Any suggestions as to best replacement?

Here is a pic of the current model:

IMG_3536.jpg

Sponsored Links
First thing-is the pump actually goosed or is it just lacking electricity? Have you tried spinning the impeller with it powered up? (Undo that big shiny screw- it'll drip a bit- then try turning the end of the shaft you've exposed)
After that, you could do with finding what head that pump will drive, then pick a new one the same size that'll mount vertically and drive the same head.

Thanks for your reply, no haven't tried spinning the impeller. I have had a multimeter on it and confirm that it's receiving power, but aside from slight buzzing there's no sign of life. I'll have to try the impeller spinning, thanks. How do you find out what head the pump is driving?
Thanks in advance!

once you remove the large screw head you can use a screwdiver to free the shaft , with the power on you will know immediately if you have freed it off

Sponsored Links
you can use any 130 pump, that as said by @oldbutnotdead is the physical distance between the ports, they are all the same thread and all the same wiring, my individual preference is Grundfoss but that is just me, there are many makes available but your replacement is likely to be ERP which means variable speed, supposedly more efficient, personally I hate them, Wilo are pretty poor, but as advised earlier try freeing the shaft off with a screwdriver , once freed they can run for years

Just a tip by way of a warning. If you do need to replace it, I replaced my pump last year but unfortunately one of the isolation valves hadn't closed properly. So when I released the pump, water gushed out at an alarming rate, I tried to re tighten the connection to stop it, but because I had disturbed the seal, water still sprayed out in all directions. I tried to grab a bucket and catch what I could, ably assisted by Mrs Stem who was alerted by my cries for help! However, despite catching a few gallons between us, we still sustained damage to both the lounge and dining room ceilings below :(

So, thought you should be aware. Just in case. I plan to drain the system down to the level of the pump next time.

Bungs stem...always bung. Have a spare new isolation valve and a rubble bag on hand just in case of the worst. 9/10 fail to hold. I used to work with a guy who snatched every pump head in a rubble bag...especially stores

Thank you all so much for your help with this what great feedback, thanks for taking the time. An update: I removed the screw, turned the impeller (with power off to start with), it didn't seem jammed but the water that dripped out as I did was dirty, once power was applied it whirred away and started working again. It seems a little slow warm up overall but it is getting warm so maybe some air is in the system? The boiler is happy again and there is warmth so that's a good start!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back