replacement kitchen, electrics question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to replace my kitchen which has existing built in appliances. I will be renewing the appliances (with no extra ones) but moving them to new positions. This can be done by using the existing wiring & fused spur/cooker socket etc positions. Will I need to do anything (so far as 'part p' regulations are concerned)? I am a competant person but not 'part p' trained.

Sponsored Links
This can be done by using the existing wiring & fused spur/cooker socket etc positions.
No new fixed cabling whatsoever?

No additional sockets/FCUs/switches/luminaires whatsoever?

Will I need to do anything (so far as 'part p' regulations are concerned)?
Yes - you must make reasonable provision in what you do in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installation from fire or injury.

And unless the work you do is listed in Schedule 2B here then you'll have to notify your local Building Control Dept in advance.

I am a competant person but not 'part p' trained.
I take it from that that you aren't officially a Competent Person, i.e. able to certify your work as compliant with the Building Regulations, in which case you should read this: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p.

as I said, no new wiring just replacing cupboards/worktops/tiles. The 'fixed' wiring for the cooker/hob will remain also. as for competant (yes I am a time served metering electrician testing & energising new supplies in commercial premises in the North of England for a well known power company) but no, not part p trained.

Then you are not a Competent Person within the meaning of the Building Regulations, so any notifiable work you do has to be notified in advance.

Sponsored Links
Then you are not a Competent Person within the meaning of the Building Regulations, so any notifiable work you do has to be notified in advance.
I am aware of the above in my case. My question is, lets say for example, I need to replace my oven, would this then leave me with the need to get a competant electrician in to change it then I would presume he would do his tests on my installation then inform me that my need for a new cooker has also cost me a possible rewire? (the house actually is wired in d/i pvc tw/earth with a modern consumer unit).
Thanks for your time by the way.

Because few want to spend a month of Sundays wading through that stuff.

Why not point the OP to the relevant part BAS?

It's in the Approved Document part P, page 8 Additional note b.

It's in the Approved Document part P, page 8 Additional note b.

Thanks for that (Stoday), much quicker and answers my question.

Then they can **** off down the pub and let someone who can be bothered to do things properly do it for them.

Because of my absolute, machined-from-a-solid-billet-of-weapons-grade-titanium belief that people should take the trouble to understand the actual regulations.

[abuse removed]

From the sounds of it "Normanz" is a lot more qualified/experienced/clued-up/whatever than yourself.

If you are not actually changing anything significantly and are capable of testing your work, just go for it, who is going to know?

No worries, anytime. Seriously though, have a look at your previous posts and ask yourself, why am I always this hostile towards people with a common interest.

"Will I need to do anything (so far as 'part p' regulations are concerned)?"

I see one question mark, where the OP asks what he needs to do as far as Part P is concerned, not that he is unable to complete the work to a satisfactory level.

No worries, anytime. Seriously though, have a look at your previous posts and ask yourself, why am I always this hostile towards people with a common interest.
In what way is it hostile to answer someone's question fully, and then when he clearly hasn't bothered to read the information provided to ask him why he hasn't read it?

"Will I need to do anything (so far as 'part p' regulations are concerned)?"

I see one question mark, where the OP asks what he needs to do as far as Part P is concerned, not that he is unable to complete the work to a satisfactory level.
Where have I suggested that he is unable to do that?

I find BAS's contributions interesting if not helpful. Indeed I think he's this centuary's version of Red Robbo.

Red Robbo was the bête noire of the 1970's car manufacturers. As a union boss he would instigate industrial action in the form of "Working to Rule". These were the safety rules written by the management to absolve them of any responsibility should things go wrong. For the most part workers found ways round the rules so thet they could actually produce something. If they obeyed these rules, everything stopped!

Other countries have similar laws to ours to regulate the electricity supply industry. But the French, for example, interpret them to make them workable. The law is seen as only the ultimate sanction should things go wrong.

Before privatisation the UK electricity boards virtually ignored the provisions of the 1899 Light & Lighting (Clauses) Act for connection new premises. The small print mentioned that a customer could have a connection under this Act if he insisted.

It seems to me to be a retrograde step to so strictly obey the law as we seem tto do now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back