Replacement Lighting In Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

I have 2 x 8 foot twin fittings in the garage which need replacement tubes.

I know they are still around but won't be forever, so I'm considering what to do for the best as regards replacing them.

I could get LED 8 foot tubes for £40 each - £160.

Bearing in mind I need the same light output at least as the old flu 8 footers: my eyesight is poor now.

Got any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
SecurePark,

When I looked at this myself recently for 6 foot T8 tubes, I decided not to get the LED Tubes even though I wanted them.

I felt the fluorescent tubes remained significantly cheaper and produced more light.

I am sure that this will change in future, but (unfortunately) for the moment I feel that fluorescent tubes are still better than LED tubes, unless LED Tubes being used for a specific purpose (fluorescent can look dim when cold and some say LEDs have less frequency issues and so are safer when using some tools).

My quick search finds:
LED Tube / T8 / 1800mm / 26W / 2,500lm = £26each
Fluorescent Tube / T8 / 1800mm / 70W / 6,200lm = £4each

which shows that currently F tubes at 88lm/W have a similar efficency as LED tubes at 96lm/W. But F Tube is much (15 times) cheaper at light production at 1550lm/£ than LED tube at 96lm/£.

sfk

Last edited:
Thanks, guys.

SFK- Looking for 8 foot LED's if keeping the fittings. Damn expensive!

Win- Yeah, they are around as you say but thin on the ground. Consequently expensive and a lot of firms won't courier them; you have to pick them up.

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
The Sylvania Standard F100W 35-535's I have in at the moment are rated to 8200 lumen each.

Nothing is going to beat that, is it?

I fitted a 5 foot LED tube in kitchen, not until bought and fitted did I look at output, it had dropped from over 5000 lm to 2400 lm it was far dimmer, lucky I don't need 5000 lm so got away with it, but HF ballast with fluorescent is around 95 lumen per watt, and LED around 100 lumen per watt, and life is also around the same. So having been caught out, now I would fit fluorescent with HF ballast, far cheaper to maintain.

How much do you want to spend and how long will the reduced power consumption take to cover the extra cost?

Didn't really have an idea on cost; I was just comparing prices with how much I last bought (admittedly a good few years ago now!) an 8 foot tube for. It was 3.85....

Now the whole lot is obsolete. Am I showing my age yet???:)

I'm not sure the second question will apply in a domestic garage. If it were a commercial or industrial setting and there were a great quantity of fittings, the savings in electricity costs will add up. Using the JCC's, that would be 130W less than 4 x 100W 8' flu tubes.

My other choice could be 3 x 6' twin with triphos tubes.

http://www.discount-electrical.co.u...krP274_6vMfwFFIlYy0Ufxn21IC5Wxk28oaAqCR8P8HAQ

Last edited:
To be honest id just try and get some 835 or 840 tubes for what you have.
Although hard to get nowadays they do exist and will be better than any 535 tube.
It was the 535 tubes that were actually banned due to low Efficacy due to the old Gas
Be carefull with the starters as 100 watt tubes are quite temperamental.
As you say though transporting and delivery can be a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back