Which led batten for my garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Lighting for garage, I have a single up and over garage 8'x8'x16' with an old fluorescent tube. I want to replace it with a new led batten what size and wattage would you recommend, getting confused with choice from screwfix, the garage used for storing the usual rubbish we all have but not the car. Tully.

Sponsored Links
Whichever batten you end up choosing, the best thing you can do for garage lighting is paint the walls white - with whatever old white paint you can lay your hands on.

Well maybe not literally any old white paint he can lay his hands on..

$_1.JPG

If you want a good allround spread of light I'd stick with normal fluorescent.

Sponsored Links
how longs the old tube, was it bright enough, id just get a led fitting the same length, id quess its likely its made to at least match the output or even exceed it rather than worrying about what the stated led wattage is

I swapped my old 65W fluorescent tube, no longer made they are now 58W for a LED tube from Screwfix, it is just 24W and since very little between light output fluorescent to LED it is half the light output of the old fluorescent 2400 lumen instead or around 5000 lumen for the fluorescent, but the spread of light is the same, and be it kitchen where I swapped lamp or garage where you are looking it is not the amount of light but the spread of light which is important. I have not really noticed the drop in light level, I know using my camera in the kitchen the camera settings show the light level has dropped, but not noticed with my eyes.

I think for what they are they are expensive compared with fluorescent, with a HF ballast with a fluorescent you are looking at 95 lumen per watt compared with 100 lumen per watt with LED and the life is not much different. But the fluorescent seems to dim more with age than the LED so there is a slight advantage with LED. But LED cost around 3 times that of fluorescent. Where the LED gains is you can have a 5 foot tube at 2400 lumen or 5000 lumen you can select, but with the fluorescent tube the output for a set size is pretty well fixed.

With non fluorescent tube replacement you really do need to look at lumen per watt, although they can get 100 lumen per watt, to make the lamp cheap and dimmable often they are as low as 60 lumen per watt. So not always good idea to replace with LED.

Hi,
Interesting. I've been looking at the Voltaled Uranus led battens from ledison-led-lights.co.uk and I can't find a lumens per watt given. They do look nice and are made in England which is a strong factor. The say that these lights must be installed by a qualified electrician - are they difficult?
Advice would be appreciated.

The say that these lights must be installed by a qualified electrician

They will all say that for legal reasons. Every installation is different, they cannot possibly cover for every eventuality in the instructions that way way they cannot be sued when it all goes wrong if someone has something unusual that the instructions don't cover

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back