Replacement Lighting Wall Switch - Wiring Difficulties

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - I am replacing a lighting wall switch (it has 3 switches to front panel) and am confused by the differences in the labeling of the connections. I have created a diagram with the current wiring shown and labelled. The bottom diagram show the layout of the new switch.

Looking at the botton layout if you were to rotate 180 degrees you get the right 'matching' - I would therefore think that

A > 8
B > 9
C > 7
D > 6
E > 4
F > 3
G between 7 & 1
Nothing in 2 or 5

is this correct?

Thanks - Rich
3WAY.jpg

Sponsored Links
Just copy as you see it, with the switch rotated.
You may find that gang 2 and 3 need a bit of tweaking to get the switch rocker the right way up/down when switching on/off, by swapping the 2 and 3 way terminals around.

The switches have a triangular formation to them, turn you new switch upside down ?

DS

Last edited:
D & F are 1 way switch wires. If putting them in the two way terminal means the switch operates the wrong way round, then swap them to D5 and F2.

Sponsored Links
Yes you're spot on, however as secure spark mentioned you might find the switches work the wring way. It looks like the old one might have either been the wring way or mounted upside down too.

While you're in if the back box is metal just make sure all the earths go to the terminal on the back.

And of course don't forget to safely isolate all lighting circuits that feed the switch.

Thanks everyone - I'm going to try that with the option of swapping F to 3 and D to 6 should the switches be the wrong way up.
3WAY v2.jpg

or I might do this?
3WAY v3.jpg

Flat cap, never mind the wiring, I like your diagrams! How did you do them?

Thank you. I am a graphic designer and use Adobe Indesign. There are other design packages out there which I would also use such as PagePlus or DrawPlus from Serif which are also very good and much, much cheaper to buy.

I was hoping you were going to say Google docs! Anyway good luck with the wiring.

I was hoping you were going to say Google docs! Anyway good luck with the wiring.
Serif do free versions of all their software Page Layout, Drawing, Photo Editing, Video Editor etc.- they usually have some of the more advanced features unavailable - but for most people this is fine.

Oh and by the way I have fitted the light switch and all is working OK. Many thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. Have a great weekend!

Rich

flatcap - my problem is lack of skill, maybe not lack of software! Glad it's all up and running, enjoy your new switch!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back