replacement MCB's

I don't think anybody knows at the moment just how far-reaching Brexit will be.

Sponsored Links
Living down to my moniker, might the quote mean that (in roughly 2 years time) this setup would no longer be acceptable (anywhere in the EU).
Who knows?!

However, more generally, there are countless situations in which we have relationships/agreements/whatever with bodies or organisations in Europe which, despite what a lot of people think/fear, are not necessarily reliant upon membership of the EU. Many of those situations will have to be dealt with on a case-by-case basis after we leave the EU - and that is one of the reasons why sorting out the aftermath of leaving will probably end up taking many more years than the 2 years required for us to formally 'leave' the EU.

For example, in terms of electrical and related matters, one of the main organisations/bodies of interest is CENELEC, in relation to European Standards. My understanding is that its current 'membership' consists of the National Standards organisations of the 28 EU Member States, the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Turkey and three of the four EFTA countries (Iceland, Norway and Switzerland). This illustrates that EU membership is not an absolute requirement, so that the future relationship between the EU and CENELEC will presumably be a matter determined by negotiation.

In other words, we simply have to wait (possibly for a very long time) and see.

Kind Regards, John

And not only is there not necessarily reciprocity, surely it is up to the person saying that there is to prove it, not for those saying "hang on, there might not be, we don't know" to prove that there isn't?
I would agree with you.
I was not asking you to prove it isn't; I was asking if anyone knew definitely that it is not - to save the usual squabbling.
I am afraid that I don't have any greek documents to prove it.

Is the quote from Secure not enough?
Is this any good? https://www.cenelec.eu/standardsdevelopment/ourproducts/europeanstandards.html

Is there anything in BS7671 which you might consider inferior to an equivalent in Greece?
Do caravans have to be converted to Greek specifications at the border before entry is allowed? If not...

Is the quote from Secure not enough?
AS I see it, secure's quote only relates to what is deemed to satisfy one bit of UK legislation (ESQCR). As such, it does not seem to relate to anything else, and nor does it imply any 'reciprocity'.
It probably would be if there were a European "Wiring Standard" that all countries affiliated to CENELEC were required to 'transpose into a national Standard and to withdraw any conflicting national standards' (essentially similar to the concept of an "EU Directive"). However, to the best of my knowledge that is currently not the situation. If it were, all CENELEC members would be required to have essentially identical national 'Wiring Standards', and prior 'home-grown' national Standards such as BS7671 would have to be withdrawn - or, at least, changed so as to be essentially identical to the European Standard.
Is there anything in BS7671 which you might consider inferior to an equivalent in Greece?
I've already cited the fairly obvious example of ring final circuits, which I suspect might be consdiered 'inferior' in at least some other countries.
Do caravans have to be converted to Greek specifications at the border before entry is allowed? If not...
There presumably are some 'relaxations' in relation to vehicles etc. which move across national borders. However, I imagine that some national laws may take precedence. For example, I suspect that it is not lawful to drive a vehicle on UK roads if its tyres are worn to the extent of not being 'legal' in the UK - even if those tyres would be legal in the vehicle's 'normal country'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I've already cited the fairly obvious example of ring final circuits, which I suspect might be consdiered 'inferior' in at least some other countries.
As might 30mA RCD protection, the use of SP breakers, the use of undersized and unsheathed CPCs in cables...

All these are possibilities.

They might be, if they are going to be "imported".

In the UK there is a difference between someone coming here from abroad in his own vehicle for a short stay, and someone bringing one in on a "permanent" basis.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back