replacement MCB's

Sponsored Links
Well, its a British built mobile home that are for sale in Greece everywhere and contain a UK spec consumer unit (along with UK sockets etc). Greece does not produce mobile homes and sell many UK imports so (other than having it completely re-wired to Greek regs) I guess my option is to install to UK standard (its not a disrepect or disregard of Greek regs). Believe me, I have seen some very "interesting" electrical installations over there that would feature in a lot of competent installers nightmares
I'm sure you have, just as people over here have seen likewise here.

But as for the Greek regulations on mobile homes, they might be different to those for installations which are not in mobile units, and are, oh - I dunno - in workshops. For example. Or they might be different when the "mobile home" has a "permanent" connection to the public supply and not a plug-in one on a campsite.

Well, I am presuming - that, as Europe is harmonised and other standards are allowed in Britain, the converse would apply in other countries.
Is there not 'a limit'? For example, would a ring final circuit per BS7671 (with BS1363 accessories) be acceptable in all European countries?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Well, I am presuming - that, as Europe is harmonised and other standards are allowed in Britain, the converse would apply in other countries.
OK.

Given that you live in Portugal, why don't hop into your car and try driving according to UK regulations. Including the one on the acceptable blood alcohol content for drivers.

Do let us know how you get on, and whether, on reflection, you realise that your argument was fatuous.

That's a silly comment.

It does not say in the (British) highway code that you may chose a German method if you prefer.

It's not a "silly comment" - it was designed to make you think about the fact that not all regulations are 100% harmonised across the entire EU.

How do you know what the Greek electrical regulations say about contravening them if your contravention would not be a contravention in a foreign country?

Is there not 'a limit'? For example, would a ring final circuit per BS7671 (with BS1363 accessories) be acceptable in all European countries?

If you can fit a 16A radial with schuko sockets in Britain, why not?

Apart from that, rings aren't necessary in Europe (- or Britain ?)

To save arguing fruitlessly all night.

If anyone knows the Standards allowance is NOT reciprocal, please say now.

The 'man's Van' is just a portable appliance plugged into a better CU than the UK because you don't have to spend hours tracing a E N fault in Greece :D or Italy or Spain or…….

DS

I'm with EFLI here.

From the ESQCR:

(2) Any requirement in these Regulations for goods or materials to comply with a specified standard shall be satisfied by compliance with an equivalent standard or code of practice of a national standards or quivalent body of any EEA State, in so far as the standard or code of
practice in question enables electricity safety, quality or continuity considerations to be met in an equivalent manner.
(3) In paragraph (2) the expression "EEA State" means a State which is a Contracting Party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area signed at Oporto on 2nd May 1992 as adjusted by the Protocol signed at Brussels on 17th March 1993.

This means you cannot be refused a supply if your installation is compliant with BS7671.
It also means you would have a right to a supply if your installation was compliant with the Greek standards.
Conversely, I believe your installation in Greece would be fit for supply if it complied with 7671.

If you can fit a 16A radial with schuko sockets in Britain, why not?
I was merely asking whether or not it would be acceptable in all European countries; I just don't know. I don't think that it is inevitable that it has to be reciprocal - as far as I'm aware, we're allowed to work to non-UK regulations/Standards for UK installations only because UK regs say that we can. Whether or not the national regulations of (m)any other European countries say the same, I have no idea.

As for your specific point/.question above, since it's basic engineering/physics, I suspect that most/all other countries have the same underlying requirements regarding the permitted relationships between OPD rating, cable CCC and load current. In the UK, we have a special dispensation to not comply with that general requirement in the case of a ring final circuit. For all I know, other countries may have 'over-riding' regulations which say that the general requirement must always be satisfied.

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
If anyone knows the Standards allowance is NOT reciprocal, please say now.
Sorry - missed this one before I wrote my previous post ....

... as I just wrote, I don't see that it is necessarily reciprocal - one probably needs to look at it on a country-by-country basis. As I said, as I understand it, we can work to non-UK regs/Standards in the UK because UK Regs say that we can. I think you'd have to look at the national regs of any other country of interest to see whether or not they say something similar.

Kind Regards, John

And not only is there not necessarily reciprocity, surely it is up to the person saying that there is to prove it, not for those saying "hang on, there might not be, we don't know" to prove that there isn't?

(3) In paragraph (2) the expression "EEA State" means a State which is a Contracting Party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area signed at Oporto on 2nd May 1992 as adjusted by the Protocol signed at Brussels on 17th March 1993.

Living down to my moniker, might the quote mean that (in roughly 2 years time) this setup would no longer be acceptable (anywhere in the EU).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back