replacement of boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just would like to have some guidence on this please. i want to upgrade my boiler due to it being quite old.
British gas have been to have a look and have quoted for a condesing Worcester Greenstar 18Ri high effciency boiler at £3'327.75 ! this price includes the -£400.00 scrapage scheme. Included in price is that i will need upgrading copper gas piping to the boiler, brickwork replacement for old flue and reboring new flue position. all electrical work, bonding, new stats etc.
Please could someone give guidence on roughly what i should be paying as i know B.G are or can be ££££ :eek:

Sponsored Links
It would be wise to get a couple of quotes from local RGI's.

Maybe ask friends/family for recommended installer's in your area?

Avoid all the main chains like BG, eon, etc etc.

They will just quote rip off prices.

I could come down there and install you two of those boilers for
that.

Did that price include powerflushing, filters, years homecare?

Sponsored Links
Avoid all the main chains like BG, eon, etc etc.

They will just quote rip off prices.

I could come down there and install you two of those boilers for
that.

you have won the contract then :D

Price of 18kw Worcester system boiler is approx £1000.
A suppose a lot of people don't know any better so just take
a British Gas quote. One born every minute as they say.

wow a whole 1 year guarantee, so generous :D Then in the 2nd year you cna start paying them £200 a year for homecare. So over 5 years thats £4300. Whereas a local installer could probably installl you a boiler with a 5yr gtee for half that amount.

Is there anything wrong with the old unit? Or is it just old? If it's not broke and all, but the quote is high but bg have bigger over heads than local rgi's so is a set charge I would go with the above a get other quotes we can't see the install so could be a pig, but then it could be a tidy job. Always get minimum of three quotes I say.

Is there anything wrong with the old unit? Or is it just old? If it's not broke and all, but the quote is high but bg have bigger over heads than local rgi's so is a set charge I would go with the above a get other quotes we can't see the install so could be a pig, but then it could be a tidy job. Always get minimum of three quotes I say.

not broke (yet) just 20 years old, very straight forward job. Boiler in kitchen and all pipework that needs replacing is accessable, just a matter of lifting some floorboards

I would save for now and replace when dead to be honest, old units are less carbon friendly yes but parts are peanuts compared to modern boilers look up parts on the net for Worcester and you will near keel over, what you save on gas minimal to parts you will need in say five years time, keep it serviced and you will prob get loads out of the unit you have. I have clients with old units on my books I see them less than new clients with 3 year old boilers, But only my opinion

not broke (yet) just 20 years old, very straight forward job. Boiler in kitchen and all pipework that needs replacing is accessable, just a matter of lifting some floorboards

If it is an old unit with pilot light and no fan. It will probably last another 10 years. Keep it.

I went to an old GlowWorm 52 today.

The obsolete gas valve failed a number of years ago and a forum member here sent a used one to the owner which I fitted for her.

The boiler is still going but the forum member sadly died a couple of years ago!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back