Replacement Of Fascias, Soffits, Barge Board & Gutters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend to get my wooden fascias, soffits and gable end equivalents (are they barge boards ?) replaced with UPVC and also get some new guttering fitted on a semi detached house. In addition, I have some rotted felt that needs replacing on the hip above a bay window.

Do I need to split this work between 2 trades, ie, get the felt and old wooden fittings replaced with UPVC by a roofing contractor then get the guttering installed by a separate contractor or does it all come under the scope of a roofing contractor?

Lastly, having never had this type of work done before, do I hire scaffolding myself or is it generally provided by the contractor and included in their cost? I would like the use of scaffolding after the roofing/guttering is completed so that I can rennovate the window frames and paint the exterior walls?

Thx for any advice.

Sponsored Links
you approach a builder carpenter roofer window company that will tackle the job
you then ask for what you would like as in cladding or replacement with new felt into the new gutters
you need to ask if they will replace all rotten timber and treat
if its 9mm cladding its replace all rotten timber treat and clad and cover with 9mm
if its replacement with 18mm its remove soffits barge boards ect replace joists end as required and treat
they will give a cost and they will hire the relivent tools

i would not employ a company that ask you to organise any off the equipment as that cost will be out off your pocket

big-all,

Thx for the reply.

If the contractor provides the scaffolding would you know if are they generally flexible enough to leave it in place for a few weeks after completing their part of the work for a weekly hire fee?

The reason I was looking at hiring the scaffolding myself is that I have other work to do that is not related to the roofing/guttering work, ie, paint the rendering on the front, rear and gable end and renovate the windows, all of which is above ground floor level.

Rgds

Sponsored Links
you ask for quotes with scaffolding in place clear off the work areas

you then ask the person whos quote you like when they can do it
and have the scaffolding errected a week or so before they come making shure they know what areas to keep clear off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back