replacement of Honywell V4073A to Worcester Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help, just replaced the honeywell 3 port valve, the wires are slightly different 5 wires on the old valve Green/Yellow, Blue, Orange, brown, grey. But on the replacement valve they are Green/yellow, Blue, Orange, White, Grey.
So I matched and connected the wires that would match and was left with a white to connect to a brown.
On switching the boiler on, it seems to work fine with the hot water, but when I switch on the heating, It seems like the valve opens but the pump doesnt start, so no hot radiators. There is also a contious clicking from the motor on the valve ( as if its switching on and off)
Could it be that I have the wiring wrong or could there be some other problem maybe on the control box pcb
The only reason I replaced the 3 port valve was because i was getting hot radiators when I run the hot water.

Sponsored Links
Well white should be connected to the call for heat terminal of the room thermostat and as the only colour you had left over was brown I would say that you were right.

It sounds like you have a duff head / motor / something on the new valve.

Well white should be connected to the call for heat terminal of the room thermostat and as the only colour you had left over was brown I would say that you were right.

It sounds like you have a duff head / motor / something on the new valve.

you were right about the white wire goes to brown, just received confirmation from honeywell. Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
I have to assume the valve is fitted in the correct direction.
I would remove actuator head off the valve spindle to observe the underside while trying the various positions.
Suggest you start by removing all power, this will ensure the spring loaded quadrant will return to the HW position only.
After replacing the power and before turning anything on, check to see if the grey wire is live. This wire is needed in a live situation if the quadrant is to move from mid point onwards.
Next is no try CH only, What should happen is this. The room stat supplies power to the white wire, this in turn drives the motor/quadrant up to mid point where a microswitch is triggered. At this point the power from the white is dropped and it picks up the power from the grey. This drives the motor quadrant to the end of the range (CH only position). And this is where it will stay energised until the power from the grey is removed.
During this last section, another microswitch is triggered and allows power to exit the head from the orange wire.( which is used to fire up boiler, as HW is not involved and therefore cylinder stat is also not involved, although the wires are linked)
So does the motor /quadrant reach the CH only position and if it does, does it make the orange wire live.

some old honeywells had a relay on the side - did yours - cant remember if this makes a difference, havnt seen one for years,

some old honeywells had a relay on the side - did yours - cant remember if this makes a difference, havnt seen one for years,
No there wasnt any relay on the side, the new one looks pretty much identical

I may be wrong but I think the 4044 was a diverter valve and you are trying to wire in a mid position valve.

I may be wrong but I think the 4044 was a diverter valve and you are trying to wire in a mid position valve.
Thanks for that, I will check with Honeywell Technical services if the alternative is suitable, that may be the problem.

I would remove actuator head off the valve spindle to observe the underside while trying the various positions.
Suggest you start by removing all power, this will ensure the spring loaded quadrant will return to the HW position only.
After replacing the power and before turning anything on, check to see if the grey wire is live. This wire is needed in a live situation if the quadrant is to move from mid point onwards.
Next is no try CH only, What should happen is this. The room stat supplies power to the white wire, this in turn drives the motor/quadrant up to mid point where a microswitch is triggered. At this point the power from the white is dropped and it picks up the power from the grey. This drives the motor quadrant to the end of the range (CH only position). And this is where it will stay energised until the power from the grey is removed.
During this last section, another microswitch is triggered and allows power to exit the head from the orange wire.( which is used to fire up boiler, as HW is not involved and therefore cylinder stat is also not involved, although the wires are linked)
So does the motor /quadrant reach the CH only position and if it does, does it make the orange wire live.
Thanks for your advice, The valve is in the most awkward position in the boiler, I dont think it would be possible to remove the activator head whilst the valve is in the boiler, it will all have to come out again. I will get back to you on this one. Thanks again for your help.

The valve is in the most awkward position in the boiler

this would imply that you have a combi with a honeywell 3 port, if so I think you will need the same valve to replace it with.

The valve is in the most awkward position in the boiler

this would imply that you have a combi with a honeywell 3 port, if so I think you will need the same valve to replace it with.

Thanks for your help Mick, yes your right, just got an email from Honeywell, the two valves are not compatible. I should have checked that first, thanks for getting back to me. If it still dont work I could be back on here again. Regards John

Hi, I am almost certain that the replacement valve was the wrong one, I will try the correct valve and see if that works, thanks for your help, but I could be back if it still dont work.

regards John

Did you ever sort this out. I have the same problem, was advised to fit this valve instead of the v4044, could really do with some help with the wiring
steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back