Replacement of lead water supply pipe with plastic - bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can someone please help!

I am having my lead mains water supply pipe removed and replaced with plastic pipe tomorrow. The lead pipe has electrical bonding on it.

Obviously bonding the plastic pipe won't work. I need to check, but if there is a bonding on the gas pipe does that mean I don't need to worry about reattaching the bonding that is currently attached to the lead pipe to anything?

My house was made in the 50's

Many thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Just bond it to where the pipe turns to copper.
Given the age of your property it might be worth checking that the water pipe is not being used as the earth electrode.
Do you know what type of earthing system you have ?

Worth checking that you have a DNO earth or a TT earth rod as well in case your wiring is old and uses the water pipe as an earth

Sorry, should have mentioned the bonding is in the downstairs cloakroom (if that makes any difference)

The house was rewired by he previous owner about 4 years ago...he was a sparky

How can I check if the bonding is being used as the earth electrode?

Sorry, don't know what type of earthing system I have. Would it help if I attached a picture of the consumer unit and also the bonding which is attached to the lead pipe?

DNO earth and TT earth?! Being a novice this means nothing to me!!

May be it is best to get an electrician in?!

Sponsored Links
Sorry, don't know what type of earthing system I have. Would it help if I attached a picture of the consumer unit and also the bonding which is attached to the lead pipe?
?!

A photo of your CU, mains position/service head would be useful.

See images attached. Let me know if any other pictures will help

Also, should the DNO be covered rather than left open like as is?

Yep, you have a TNS earth which is fine, it looks as though the earth is original which is why it is bare.

P.S the bonding is now attached to the new pipe work but was originally attached to the lead pipe. The lead pipe will be replaced tomorrow

So, do I need to do anything to the earthing clamp now given that the lead pipe will be removed tomorrow? Should I just leave it attached to the new copper pipes and that's it?!.....will that be sufficient?

Do I need to make sure the gas pipe is earthed? Does this act as an alternative to the bonding to the lead water supply pipe?

Help!!

So by just bonding the pipe where it turns to copper will be enough?

I thought the lead pipe was bonded as it had a long run in the ground (where as the copper pipe wont be in the ground)?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back