Replacement of Upvc beading

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. My first post and what might turn out to be a trivial one.

I have a Upvc conservatory and the inner panes in two small IG units have broken during the winter. I can only guess this is a thermal effect or poorly fitted units. Another unit broke 2 years ago and I had a lot of difficulty removing the beading. I broke one piece of beading and local glazier (whom I trust) broke aother. We managed to get the window out and a new unit in then replaced the damaged beading. It doesn't look to bad and I've been happy to live with the damaged beads. On the 2 units that have broken recently I've had a go at removing the beading but it again seems very stiff and I'm worried about breaking more beading if I force them.

The original supplier of the conservatory has gone bust and I had a quick look around local Upvc firms to try and get soem replacement beading but couldn't find the same beading profile.

Is anyone aware of any universal beading profiles that can be used if I force the existing beading out?

Many thanks and more than happy to be told I've missed something obvious.

Sponsored Links
There is no universal beading unfortunately, its all specific to the frame and comes as a pair, post up some photos of what this bead looks like as we might be able to ID it and find a fabricator using that system/profile

not good if units are breaking on their own? they must be under stress where they shouldnt

Thanks for the replies.

The conservatory was on the house when I moved in and I think it's generally poor construction and fitting. I think the units are too tight a fit and I'll replace with ones a few mm smaller.

I've posted a few pics of the beading in the following album. //www.diynot.com/network/rd10022/albums/

Is it possible to buy good quality woodgrain foil tape to mask the breakage?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
not good if units are breaking on their own? they must be under stress where they shouldnt

They can break for all sorts of reasons, toughened glass for example is constantly under stress, its what gives it its strength and ironically its also its weakness especially around the edges, this link explains it better than i ever could

http://www.thewindowman.co.uk/explode.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back