fitting beads on upvc window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a broken unit in my upvc window that needed replacing, I have managed to remove the internal beads (hammer into place type) removed the broken unit, put in new and used packers as instructed, however now i cant get the beads to fit back into place, Put in the top and bottom bead first but after many many failed attempts I cannot get the side beads to fit, the bottom beads are only slightly angled and fill the full width of glass, the side beads are cut at 45 degrees, and from what I can gather fit over the bottom bead in the corners, I understand it has to be a tight fit to ensure it holds the unit in place but whatever I do I cannot for the life of me do it.
I decided to measure the thickness of the unit and the replacement unit is 5 mm more than the original, To allow for this extra will i need to cut the beads slightly?or is there just a knack to getting them to fit?
The new unit thickness still fits into the recess ok as the beads will fit perfectly ok if on there own, just not if top/bottom bead are already present.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The two beads that are in place are pushed out slightly due to the thicker unit. You'll be there till the cows come home trying to get the last two in.

That unit is scrap, i'm afraid. You need to fit the proper thickness one.

had been dreading any response to query, as I had a feeling it was going to cost me a small fortune lol :( I was fairly sure it would mean scrapping that unit, But had hoped that by a stroke of luck someone would say you need to cut X amount of the beads.
Thanks anyway for taking the time to reply :)

Sponsored Links
hi,what is the size of the unit?.i've just bought 2 pieces measuring-1150mmx960mm less 10mm for the packers. and the other 885mmx475 less 10mm(sealed) for £40 all in from the local.those beadings are a pain.its much easier with 2 people.
if you have the time,maybe you could whip the glass out and measure exact.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back