Replacement saw stop/start station

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an Einhell log saw which has developed a starting problem which I put down to the stop/start push button station.This consists of stop and start buttons acting thru a solenoid switch which has three pairs of N.O. terminals and a pair of terminals to supply the solenoid.Despite extensive searching on the web I cannot source a replacement solenoid sw.(KEDU JD3,naturally chinese in origin)A complete switch assy. is available thru Machine Mart but at £68 is I feel overpriced for a machine which costs £230 new.Can anyone suggest a cheaper off the shelf alternative?

Sponsored Links
Can you upload some photos? The item you are talking about is called a contactor

try solent power tools
or google import power toll spares and choose the one on the solent ;)

Sponsored Links
Often these aren't really up to the job, even though the rating says they should be. Many of the tools in Dad's workshop now have "proper" starters on them - and most of those have been rescued from skips etc, yes we have that sort of house according to Mum :rolleyes:

Here is an example of a starter
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-1-phase-nvr-switches-prod21289/
but note that they don't differentiate at this site between starters and NVR (No Volt Release) switches. An NVR switch is (in my mind) one where you pressing the green button mechanically closes the switch and a coil only holds it in (so it releases with no volts). A starter has a coil capable of pulling in the armature when you press the green button.
Starters can have remote start and stop buttons fitted, NVR switches generally don't have contacts for remote off switches, and can't be remotely turned on.

Are all four sets of contacts used in the application? If you have spare capacity can you jump onto a new set? Not all 4 will have burn out contacts.

Otherwise to reduce cost you will have to rewire onto a standalone contactor from the front mounted switches

Edit1:
It might be the coil that has gone open circuit, so disconnect at least one pin from the circuit and check with an ohmmeter for continuity.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KEDU-KOA8-NVR-Switch-8-amp-12-amp-with-Emergency-Stop-and-JD3-Relay-IP54-/321014232566?pt=UK_BOI_Materials_Supplies_Electrical_ET&hash=item4abdf075f6
This e-bay seller has a stop/start station very similar to the one I need but it is 400v.The fourth picture along shows the contactor inside the box.It has 4 pairs of contacts along with the coil connections.
That's a piece of cheap (but over-priced) rubbish that doesn't comply with the standards for e-stops.
I suggest you take your defunct starter to your local electrical wholesaler (not B & Q or any of the other DIY sheds) and ask them to supply you a proper starter from a reputable manufacturer like Schneider, Rockwell, Siemens, Eaton. You'll need to tell them the motor full load current, which should be on the motor rating plate.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks all for the feedback.
Mursal-all the contacts are used so no spare capacity and the coil checks out OK.
What's the general opinion on this type of manual starter-http://www.expert-electrical.co.uk/motor-control-gear/manual-motor-starter-accessories/manual-motor-starters/manual-motor-starter-6-00-10-00a.html
Their price with enclosure seems pretty reasonable.
The motor by the way is 2.2kw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back