Replacement Shower Mixer Hose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The shower hose on our bath taps/mixer has seen better days and I am looking to replace it. The taps are Bramham traditional Georgian style gold taps and the hose appears to have a thread size of 3/4" rather than the normal 1/2" which appears to be std on all hoses that I can find for sale.

Does anyone know where I can get a gold hose with a 3/4" thread on it or am I better to try and get two 3/4" to 1/2" adaptors and buy a 1/2" hose? Also, does anyone know if Bramham are still in business?

Many thanks in advance.

John

Sponsored Links
507-722847403.jpg

thats strange if you say yours is 3/4" not 1/2".

oliver haffner bramham is the name.

is it 3/4" both ends. or 3/4" and 1/2" the other ?

Sponsored Links
Definitely 3/4" at the shower head end and I've just checked the tap end and it is 3/4" as well.

...appears to have a thread size of 3/4" rather than the normal 1/2" which appears to be std on all hoses that I can find for sale...

It may be worth pointing out that a 1/2" thread isn't 1/2" in diameter. The reason for this is historical, as the measurement related to the internal diameter of the pipe that the thread was intended for.

If you're measuring the thread with a ruler or tape measure, and you find it is around 3/4" in diameter, this will be a 1/2" thread.

...appears to have a thread size of 3/4" rather than the normal 1/2" which appears to be std on all hoses that I can find for sale...

It may be worth pointing out that a 1/2" thread isn't 1/2" in diameter. The reason for this is historical, as the measurement related to the internal diameter of the pipe that the thread was intended for.

If you're measuring the thread with a ruler or tape measure, and you find it is around 3/4" in diameter, this will be a 1/2" thread.

That might be where I'm going wrong then! The internal diameter of the connectors on either end of the existing hose are approx 20mm or 3/4" across. So would that mean that any 1/2" replacement hose will do the job??

That might be where I'm going wrong then! The internal diameter of the connectors on either end of the existing hose are approx 20mm or 3/4" across. So would that mean that any 1/2" replacement hose will do the job??

That sounds about right, a 1/2" hose should fit. If you have a hot water cylinder and no pump, try to get a hose with a decent internal bore (11mm ish) which are sometimes sold as 'power shower' hoses. Cheapies are often only 7mm or so which can restrict the flow from a low pressure system.

It is just straight off the hot water cylinder so will look out for an 11mm diameter hose. There is also a pumped shower above the bath so the hand held one will only really be used by my wife for for rinsing her hair in the bath or for cleaning it!

Thanks for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back