Question about outside taps, hose connectors and hoses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking online I'm seeing conflicting information.

It seems garden hose is sold under its imperial bore size be it 1/2" or 3/4".

Then you have outside taps that are listed as 1/2" and 3/4" but does that refer to their connectors or the bore internally etc?

Then you have garden hose connectors often listed as 1/2" or 3/4" but the threads don't match that size they are larger.

Can someone bring clarity.

What is the outlet thread for a 1/2" tap and 3/4" tap?

Some 3/4" hose connectors have a thread that is close to 1".

Some quick connectors for hose are described as 1/2"

Anyone seem some decisive and clear information on all these connectors anywhere?

Sponsored Links
Pipe thread sizes refer to the bore of the (originally wrought iron) pipe the external thread is to be cut on.

As iron pipe had about 1/8" thick walls, a 1/2" bore pipe has about a 3/4" outside diameter, so a 1/2" pipe thread is about 3/4" diameter.

Likewise, a 3/4" thread is about 1" diameter.

So if you have a hose connector with a quick connector on one end and a internal female thread on the other side to connect to a tap that measures 0.96" thats actually meant for 1/2" tap not a 3/4" tap?

Where you have a tap connector on a hose which has 2 different internal size threads (a thread adapter screws into the other one to reduce its size) and the larger diameter thread is 1.21" internal diameter is that meant for a 3/4" tap? The smaller one is 0.96" internal diameter.

Are there mainly 2 size external taps sold in the uk?

The smallest tap adapter I can find is the one with 0.96" internal diameter where it screws on so assume this is meant for a 1/2" external tap as there doesn't seem anything smaller with regard tap connectors?

So would it be internal hose/pipe bore of 1/2" means the hose/pipe external diameter is about 3/4" which means to allow for the thread being on the outside of the metal on the tap connection takes it to 0.96"?

Am I making sense or have I missed something somewhere?

Sponsored Links
You can buy all sorts of sizes of bib taps starting at 1/2". Most domestic properties will use a 1/2" bib tap. Depending on the manufacturer the outlet can be various threads. Most seem to have a 3/4 MI thread but other sizes are still quite common. Most people will either use the adaptor supplied with the tap or go to a shed and buy one of the quick release adaptors with the adaptors. That's what I use if I want to get a water supply from an outside tap for flushing etc.

for the couple of quid that the adaptors cost it's not worth wasting time over.

Some brands of 1/2" bib tap will have a 3/4" BSP union for the hose. The actual diameter of a 3/4" male thread is a tad over 1”.
Some brands of 1/2" and most - if not all – 3/4" will have b@stard size, manufacturer-specific threads.

What are you measuring to come up with 0.96”, is it a female threaded nut?
The inside diameter of a 3/4" BSP nut will be a tad UNDER an inch. It looks odd, a less-than 1” female fitting on a more than 1” male, but it’s all to do with the peaks and troughs of the threads.

0.96" is the internal diameter of the tap adapter where the thread is.

So do any 1/2" taps come with an outlet that is less than 3/4" I assume none do as there doesn't seem to be a tap adapter designed for less than 3/4".

One question if you have a hose/pipe bore 1/2" and you then add the thickness of the pipe/hose which takes it just over 3/4" and then the outlet has to have the thickness of its own material above this how does the bsp figure factor this in.

Is 1/2" bore pipe/hose always used with 3/4" bsp connectors which in themselves are actually closer to 1"(0.96) with regard their thread diameter.

I'm trying to get a full understanding of this as there doesn't seem to be information online that full explains how pipe bores and threads relate.

A lot of this discussion is pointless. As said you nearly always use a 1/2" tap. (as on Charnwoods photo). That is 1/2"BSP to connect to mains. (Few normal houses have a cold supply around the house greater than 15mm/12")

The outlet is nearly always 3/4" BSP. They normally come with an adaptor for 1/2 hose, and you simply push the hose on and tighten with a hose clip.

Alternatively you dispose of the supplied adaptor, buy a hozelock type adaptor, and use a push fit connection:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b0_rMEUgIM

Why do you need all the details?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back