Replacement Shower

stl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have had a new shower installed in a flat I rent out. The replacement was organised by the letting agent with a NICEIC electrician. As i understand it the shower was replaced only and the existing cable (6mm2) used.

I have been struggling to get a minor works test certificate for this work. Can I just check whether this should have been done for this replacement shower unit or not. I want proof that the new shower is compatible with the cable size, MCB etc,

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, you should have received one.

The circuit should be tested to ensure it is safe.

A certificate should be given for all work (except perhaps the very,very minor).

Certainly for a shower and for a landlord.

Technically a MEIWC is not required if no work has been carried out on the fixed wiring, only replacing current using apparatus.
He should however check that the existing installation is compatible with the new shower before installing as a matter of course.

I would expect that an electrician who is changing any fixed equipment, would check that the existing circuit is suitable for the swap. although technically a cert is not required as issue. If the I&T are being made anyway, why not document them? As it stands a landlord has a duty of care to their tenant and I would be wanting evidence if it was I, that the installation of the shower, complied and is safe.
Did you request a cert, prior to work being done?

Sponsored Links
Simple solution - don't pay the agent until he provides proof that the work was properly done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back