Replacement teleswitcher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

A local electrician recently did a load of work for us, and at some point removed the E7 teleswitcher.

I am in desperate need to find a replacement unit to have him re-fit it

Here is a picture of the old set up:

3 - Copy.JPG

From what I can gleen it is a Horstmann VA mk9 SRS 2.

If anyone can suggest a replacement teleswitcher, that would be fantastic.

Sponsored Links
What is it controlling? Your photo isn't showing.

Such equipment is usually only owned/provided by your DNO.

What is it controlling? Your photo isn't showing.

Such equipment is usually only owned/provided by your DNO.

Picture added.

It isnt actually doing any load switching anymore (old storage heaters ripped out years ago) however it is / was still controlling the rate change on the E7 meter.

AH. So you are probably still paying for the E7/off peak service?

If so, your best route is to tell the electricity supplier that you want to stop the E7 service. They'll need to come pop in a different meter. That will be cheaper for you tarrif-wise.

PS How did he remove the time clock?, as the meter and the time-clock are sealed by the supplier!

Sponsored Links
AH. So you are probably still paying for the E7/off peak service?

If so, your best route is to tell the electricity supplier that you want to stop the E7 service. They'll need to come pop in a different meter. That will be cheaper for you tarrif-wise.

PS How did he remove the time clock?, as the meter and the time-clock are sealed by the supplier!

We run 3 ponds at night, so E7 is still the better option for us.

Dont ask me any of the things he did, thats why I hired him, I don't mess with that stuff, but am now in the process of cleaning up his mess.

Long story short, and no offense to suggestions, we need a replacement teleswitcher, thats what is needed to sort this mess out.

I find this very odd.

Where was the teleswitch? I can't see a space for it on the meter board. What colour was it, and how big?

I can see a mechanical timeswitch. I don't see why you would have had both a mechanical one and a radio one. The mechanical one looks to me as if it controls the two-tariff meter.

I find this very odd.

Where was the teleswitch? I can't see a space for it on the meter board, or marks anywhere for it. What colour was it, and how big?

I can see a mechanical timeswitch. I don't see why you would have had both a mechanical one and a radio one. The mechanical one looks to me as if it controls the two-tariff meter.

Whatever that unit is on the right, next to the meter, that is now gone.

That turned the night rate meter on and off.

OK. It's not a teleswitch.

It's a motor-driven timeswitch, 80Amp capacity I think.

I suppose it's possible the electrician might have been able to sell it to someone. An actual Teleswitch would be pretty useless to anyone except an electricity supplier, because it is operated by a radio signal.

Although I doubt the electricity supplier has an accessible record of the serial number (they do for meters) yours will be marked with the owner and test date, so even if you got hold of another stolen one, there's not much chance of it going unnoticed. I fear the supplier will hold you responsible and make you pay for a replacement. These things are usually reconditioned and calibrated every 20 years or so, I have no idea what the cost might be. If you tell them who the electrician was they might have mercy on you. If you have any influence on the electrician you could try to make him give it back.

Last edited:
On the face of it this looks like theft, I would get him back to put things right FOC under pain of being reported to the DNO

I'm finding this difficult to believe.

A local electrician does a lot of work - what work? - during which a DNO/supplier timeswitch, which apparently serves seven circuits - probably heaters and immersion - is removed and thrown away.

Then you calmly ask on here where you can get a replacement.

Was this electrician from the supplier and did he remove the E7 facility because you no longer benefit from E7 because three ponds at night probably don't use as much electricity as six storage heaters?

Very strange.

I'm finding this difficult to believe.

Find it difficult to believe as you want.

Your lack of reading comprehension may explain it though.

OK. It's not a teleswitch.

It's a motor-driven timeswitch, 80Amp capacity I think.

I suppose it's possible the electrician might have been able to sell it to someone. An actual Teleswitch would be pretty useless to anyone except an electricity supplier, because it is operated by a radio signal.

Although I doubt the electricity supplier has an accessible record of the serial number (they do for meters) yours will be marked with the owner and test date, so even if you got hold of another stolen one, there's not much chance of it going unnoticed. I fear the supplier will hold you responsible and make you pay for a replacement. These things are usually reconditioned and calibrated every 20 years or so, I have no idea what the cost might be. If you tell them who the electrician was they might have mercy on you. If you have any influence on the electrician you could try to make him give it back.

Thanks for the useful reply, ive since been in touch with western power (and then utilities provider) who are going to come do an assessment and replace the missing unit or change the meter over alltogether.

Find it difficult to believe as you want.
Your lack of reading comprehension may explain it though.
Of course.

We run 3 ponds at night, so E7 is still the better option for us.
No.

Dont ask me any of the things he did, thats why I hired him, I don't mess with that stuff, but am now in the process of cleaning up his mess.
Yes, that all makes perfect sense.
I often get customers saying "Come round and do whatever you want; I'll clear up after you".

Long story short, and no offense to suggestions, we need a replacement teleswitcher, thats what is needed to sort this mess out.
In view of the above, how do you know it's a mess?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back