Replacement windows to reduce road noise..

Blimey 10.8 lam, that'll be heavy and would also make the unit 28.8mm, beads will be tight getting in.

Make sure the hinges are covered for the full ten years, ask to see their IBG and to highlight the bit about metallic moving parts/hardware/hinges, I speak from expirience as an ex insurance assessor QANW/Certass

Sponsored Links
Make sure the hinges are covered for the full ten years, ask to see their IBG and to highlight the bit about metallic moving parts/hardware/hinges, I speak from expirience as an ex insurance assessor QANW/Certass

IBG?

Idaho Botanical Garden
Indiana Botanic Gardens
Institute for Behavioral Genetics
Intel Boot Guard
Interactive Brokers Group
Investment Bank of Greece
The International Brewers Guild
The Institute of British Geographers

Not sure how any of the above relates to windows :D

I did quiz him on the guarantee, which was one of the reasons why he advised against triple-glazing due to the weight and wear on the hinges, however I guess 3x4mm panes would probably weigh less than the 10 and 6 if everything is equal.

Will double check on the weight.. maybe they fill these with helium??

I work in tv studios and have converted a garage into a recording studio.
I would use double glazing as above but then have glass secondary glazing fitted

As big an airgap as possible and thick glass.

I added in a cheap secondary glazing sheet with a 40mm or so gap to my front window - I've been surprised how very effective it is in reducing noise. It's on a magnetic tape, so it's easily removable, if I want to open the window.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

Had a visit from 3 seperate local double glazing firms, to quote for front windows and doors, each have suggested a different solution to the problem, which is road noise, in a nutshell..

Firm 1:
Duraflex frames with 'Acoustic glass'

Firm 2:
Rehau frames with laminate glass

Firm 3:
Liniar frames with triple glazing

Firm 1 say they don't recommend triple glazing as it's added weight puts wear and tear on the hinges, firm 2 says laminate glass is the solution, and can be better performing than triple glazing, firm 3 says triple glazing is the solution as there's more glass in the sound path.

What are the thoughts of the collective wisdom here? Additionally are there any differences in the frames quoted?

We've yet to see quotes from all 3, but they've also all got different chosen door suppliers (we're after a new front door too): Solidor, TrueDor, and Door-stop.. Any thoughts on these suppliers from a quality and reliability point of view?
HI , Sorry for bring up an old thread, but I have the same issue now,
Wondering what you went for?

HI , Sorry for bring up an old thread, but I have the same issue now,
Wondering what you went for?
hi, we went with the Acoustic glass in the end. it has made a marked difference in road-noise in the house, and things are much more pleasant as a result. You do need to consider other noise paths, as once you've fixed the winows, you're then aware of the air-brick or some other route for the sound to get in.

hi, we went with the Acoustic glass in the end. it has made a marked difference in road-noise in the house, and things are much more pleasant as a result. You do need to consider other noise paths, as once you've fixed the winows, you're then aware of the air-brick or some other route for the sound to get in.
When you say acoustic, what exactly was the build you went for. Getting confused here with things. Should I say double with a laminate 33.1 and a bit air gap if triple

When you say acoustic, what exactly was the build you went for. Getting confused here with things. Should I say double with a laminate 33.1 and a bit air gap if triple
Thick pane, airgap, thin pane with a laminate layer is what we ended up choosing.
The panes are heavy, and how much better than regular double or triple is not something we can measure.

Thick pane, airgap, thin pane with a laminate layer is what we ended up choosing.
The panes are heavy, and how much better than regular double or triple is not something we can measure.
Perfect, one last question, is the laminate in the inside or outside?

Laminated glass is two panes of glass with a layer in the middle (jam sandwich)

It allows much bigger panes of overall thinner material to be used.

PAS24 is a security guide.
For sound insulation, laminated glass has TWO layers of glass with plastic in between. The plastic also acts as a damper between the glass layers

Of course but the question asked was is the laminate fitted to the inner or outer of the unit, I just merely said if the installation meets PAS24 then it'll be outside, if it doesn't meet PAS24 then who knows which side the laminate is, 6.8 acoustic lam also meets PAS24

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back