Replacing 2 light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Took off faulty dimmer switch.
Wiring to connect has 1 wire red and 1 wire normal red black yellow already earthed to plastic inner box .
News switch normal ports 2L1 2L2 and 2 comes.
Any information greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
you don't get charged by the word, you know. Punctuation is also free.

Post a pic of your old switch, including the old connections, please. Include the cables that the individual cores come from.

OK, I wired the 2 reds to L1's a single wire connecting both comm ports, ad put extra wire to black connected to both L2s.

Only one light came on in back room.
Regards

20211006_145333.jpg

Sponsored Links
Did you take pics of original switch/wiring ? Post pics if you did.
Your new switch is wired incorrectly .do you have any testing equipment, multimeter or twin probe voltage tester?
The permanent live goes to com.
L1 on each switch should have only one wire ,being the switched live to each light fitting.
The short link wire would go between the two com terminals.

Hi Terry no picture of old fitting, broken dimmer switch.I have a voltage tester.The two cables ,one has only one wire red covered in grey coating,the second normal three wire the earth already fixed to plastic box,there was a separate wire which I assume was connected to both comms.
So if the two reds are connected to both L1's,where does the negative black wire go ?.There is a picture on page.

If the live red goes to com, and the other red to L1 what wire goes in the other L1.
Regards

One of the three conductors is permanently live. Test to establish which it is. Put it in com of one switch with the short bridge wire , and the other end of the bridge wire into the other switches com.
The remaining two wires ,each into L1 of each switch.
What voltage testing instrument do you have ?

Just a normal cheap multi tester.
So it's all right to put remaining wire (black) in the other L1.

Which of the three is permanent live ? I suspect it is the red wire coming from the twin and earth cable ( grey sheath with red and black within it )
If it is ,then yes the black goes to an L1, (and it should have a bit of red sleeve or red tape on it to indicate it is a line conductor)

OK will try and fix tomorrow, will let you know,many thanks for you help

I'm GUESSING it's red to com and com
other red with grey to L1
black to other L1
like this:
upload_2021-10-6_21-54-22.png

I've shown the black as blue so it shows up against the switch.

I'm assuming the red in T&E is perm L.
If the single red in grey sheath is perm L then swap the reds in my sketch.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back