Replacing 2 light switch

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
OK I misread post #3.
As I read again I believe this is the current arrangement:
upload_2021-10-6_22-30-22.png

In that case depending on switch positions any 2 wires can be switched together. However OP says only one light illuminates.

My solution as long as my assumption of perm L is the red of T&E
upload_2021-10-6_22-35-57.png

So if the two reds are connected to both L1's,where does the negative black wire go ?.There is a picture on page.
The black is not negative. There is no negative with AC. Nor is it neutral. A wire colour cannot tell how it is connected. Most likely a switched live.

Sorry for delay wired as first post wire connecting both come live connected to com. Remaining wires connected to both L1s.Both lights came on,I switched off and on great, put cover back on just tightening screws and it tripped out.?

What has tripped ? MCB ,RCD ?
When tightening screws you have likely nicked a cable insulation.

Consumer box switch for lighting.
I made sure connections were tight but still tripped, don't think I nicked anything.will try again when the wife stops nagging lol.

It's getting to me now wired as before tripped straight away, could be fault on wiring.

Are all other lights / rooms that are on the same circuit working ok ,when your new switch has no wires connected to it ?
Show us a pic of the wiring connections at your new switch.

I've tapped up for now replaced cover.
Yes all other lights ok.
Connection on switch L1 L2 COM
COM L1 L2.

Thanks ,we know what the terminal markings are ,a picture of how you are wiring up maybe useful .
Please tell us what device is tripping,is it an MCB, RCD ? If unsure show us a pic of the device that's tripping.

Thank-you consumer box MCBS
protected by RCDS.
MCB for lighting trips.
Switch wired as indicated by you previously I think.
Wire connecting both come
Live wire connected to 1 com
Other red and black wires connected to L1's.

There are only two cables to connect
1 single cable grey red wire inside.
1cable standard red/black and green/yellow already connected to earth connection back of box..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back