Replacing 2 light switch

Sounds like you have a dead short.
Have you worked on any other switches or light fittings ?
As both light fittings worked on and off when you first wired it as we suggested,it would seem the problem is not at the switch. The switch you pictured is plastic ,you haven't changed it for a metal one have you ?
Does MCB trip if both switches are in
"OFF" position ,and the 3 wires connected to switch ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
We did have a problem with lighting circuits a few months ago, called in electrician who found the two wires ,1 for upstairs lights and the other for downstairs,both cables were found to showing bare wire, so he tried to pull through new ones, unfortunately could only get one through due to obstructive in cavity, so had permission to connect one cable to one fuse and both circuits.
The light in front room came on slightly when passage light was switched on, but was put right.
New consumer box fitted and all passed with inspector present.
We very rarely have these room lights on, I had a dimmer switch on them and when I switched on that when they tripped,so went to replace with normal plastic switch.
But I'm thinking that there still a problem with the connect that he made although both circuits were passed ok.
Thought I'd ask you lads because it cost me an arm and leg last time.
Regards

Well thats a whole different ball game,
The original switch causing the MCB to trip !! As said earlier the problem is elsewhere . You are going to need an electrician.

Sponsored Links
Yes looks like he will have to come out again.
Thank-you you all for trying to solve problem.
Brilliant forum.
Keep safe.
Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back