Replacing 2 x 1 way light switch - help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am trying to replace an old 2 x 1 way switch unit(two switches operating 2 different lights - only switches for these lights). I have purchased a new switch which is described as a 2 gang 2 way metalic front switch(crabtree).
Im assuming i can use this switch for a 1 way setup?
The old switch wiring consists of a pair of red(l) and black(n) wires and a bare copper wire.(e) The red wires connects to L2 on both switches, the black connects to an unmarked location on either switch and the copper wires are twisted together. Im assuming the bare copper wires are the earths.
The new switch has useless instructions and im confused how to safely connect this.
The new switch has on either swicth - L1 L2 L3 and earth connections on plate. This is a metalic plate so i think i have worked out i need to sleeve the bare copper wires and connect to the earth connections on the plate. What i dont know is where to connect the pair of red and black wires.

Any help on this will really be appreciated, thanks!

Sponsored Links
You have a double switch.Think of it as two separate switches that have been glued together. Each will usually have three terminals arranged in a triangle - two at the top and one and the bottom for one switch; two at the bottom and one at the top for the other switch.

As you are not using two-way switching, you just need to put one red at the top of one switch, and the attached black to the bottom of the same switch. And the same, with the other cable, in the other switch. You can put black at the top and red at the bottom if you like prefer, it will still work.

Yes, the bare copper wires are the earth. You do need to sleeve them in G&Y and attach to the earth terminals on the switch. You should also get a six-inch length of G&Y wire and connect one end to the same earth terminal, and the other to the earth terminal in the metal back-box in the wall.

JohnD, Thanks for the prompt reply. So the L1, L2 and L3 markings are not really significant in my case? Also, quickly - am i right that i need to properly earth the 2 bare copper wires which are currently twisted together - the new switch plate is metal.

Thank you

Yes.
(I added that to my previous reply by "edit")

You may find them easier to handle if you untwist them and sleeve them separately.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back