Replacing 26mm thick chipboard flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

As above, I've got a few sections of chipboard flooring that could do with being replaced before we get our new laminate flooring put down.

Got the calipers out and it seems as though my T&G chipboard floor boards are 26mm deep. Most places only supply 18/22mm thicknesses (have found 26mm acoustic boards but this seems like overkill for a few patch replacements and would be a hassle to get hold of)

Essentially, is it possible to put down 22mm boards where needed (if the T&G go together) and get the flooring guy to build up the difference with underlay, or will I need to go about things another way?

I have a feeling a similar problem was encountered by a previous owner as there's been some plywood lengths substituted in - would that be a reasonable compromise (building up ply to the right thickness)?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Alistair,
Note that I am wondering if your "26mm" chipboard is actually 1inch chipboard. Do a search for "25mm chipboard" as that is available when 26mm chipboard will not work.

If your 26mm thick Chipboard is failing in several areas so it now needs replacing, I would ask why is it failing in these areas as this seems unusual if the rest of the floor is okay? and then I would suggest that if 26mm thick chipboard is now failing in areas you would be better of replacing it all now with say plyboard before the rest of the chipboard fails.

Otherwise, if you are going to replace only sections with 22mm thick chipboard, as a bit of a bodge I think better off putting strips of wood 4mm thick on the top of the joists to lift the 22mm chipboard up to be level with the 26mm chipboard. Note that the T&G will not align as this is central to the thickness of the wood, so you may need noggins between the joists to provide support at the chipboard joins.

They sell thin strips of wood (stored in long bins) in places like B&Q, Wickes and Homebase.
sfk

Last edited:
Oh and I should have mentioned don't use chipboard if possible, although in theory it meets the standard needed, plywood is more tolerant of moisture, movement and the passage of time

Sponsored Links
That's great thanks for the tips.

The board themselves are in good nick - the ones I'm replacing are only because they've been cut up and re laid to get pipework run. As a result they don't all sit on the joists properly.

This done by the previous owner who was a bit slap-dash!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back