Replacing 3 gang 2way switch with smart one.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. My knowledge stops one level before ;). I have attached 3gang 2way switch and I would like to know if I can use only one smart wifi to replace only this one. 1 gang is used by outside door , the second by two ground floor lights but 2way with the 2nd 2way switch and the 3rd gand by 1st floor light with the 1st floor 2way switch. Can anyone help me with this project? Thanks

Attachments

• 1st-hallway-switch-top.jpg
    1st-hallway-switch-top.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 1st-halway-switch-bottom.jpg
    1st-halway-switch-bottom.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 72
  • hallway-2nd-switch.jpg
    hallway-2nd-switch.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 85
  • smart-switch.jpg
    smart-switch.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 79
  • lights.jpg
    lights.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 79
Sponsored Links
The most obvious question is do you have a neutral at the light switch ? your smart switch needs it to work.

It works with or without neutral. Also if you can see at the 1st picture inside the box there are two neutral cables, right?

Yes but are they attached at the other end ? what is the make and model of your smart switch ?

Sponsored Links
It's a new build house and I don't want to think that cables don't end anywhere :( . Please see attached photos

Attachments

• IMG_1213.jpg
    IMG_1213.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1214.jpg
    IMG_1214.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 69
No you cant use the smart switch as it does not have two way switching.

I dont know of any smart switches that will work with ordinary switches, if you change all the switches to smart switches there are plenty on the market that can do this.

I dont know of any smart switches that will work with ordinary switches, if you change all the switches to smart switches there are plenty on the market that can do this.
ok, thank you very much

A 2,3,4 gang switch is 2, 3 or 4 individual switches in one package, the switch you show has all three switches using the same live, so would not work when the lights are on different circuits, as one of the lights would end up with a borrowed neutral.

However you can fit a relay at the lamp.
Landing-light-relay-instructions2.jpg

The instructions are for a relay,DSC_6061.jpg seen here, the switch ends up switching extra low voltage, and it changes what the light does when switch changes state, does not matter is switches on or off, the change of state turns light on or off as does the phone so phone is like another two way switch. DSC_6060.jpg this is box, in my case a double relay, so can switch centre lamp independent to outer lamps, DSC_6059.jpg not yet fitted only tested, should go up next weekend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back