2gang 2way to 3 gang 2way advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm after a small bit of advice please. I currently have a 2gang switch in the hall which controls the hall light (1way), landing light (2way) and a porch light (this is the problem light! Currently wired straight through the wall and into both L1s in the 2 gang switch, causing other lights in circuit to dim when on, and never really comes on brightly itself!!). To resolve this problem I have bought a 3gang switch. Hall and Landing light I can swap over myself no problem into 1st and 2nd gang. I can even put the porch light into Com and L1 of 3rd gang.I can earth all lights no worries. All I need to know is how to get power to 3rd gang. I'm guessing that I can loop from one of the other Coms or L1s?? Is this right?
Thanks in advance. :D

Sponsored Links
You may have a 2 gang switch, but is there a neutral within the switch?
If not then you will need to have a neutral run to it for the outside light as this is what it sounds like your problem is.

By the sounds of it, no neutral, and an outside light wired in series between two internal ones because the idiot who installed it didn't have a ******* clue what he was doing....

Sponsored Links
right, what I am trying to establish is if there is a way of fixing it that doesn't involve new cabling and that depends on how things are wired at the moment. Even if it can't be done without new cabling we still need the information on how things are wired at the moment to advise on the easiest fix.

In addition to my previous questions are the hall and landing lights on the same or different circuits?

Hi all

I have drawn out the wiring arrangement but have just discovered that I can't 'paste' it into this window. Not to worry, I'll try my best to explain.

Plugwash, in asnwer to your second Q, I think the hall and landing light must be in different circuits since if I switch off "Downstairs Lights" in the mcb the hall light goes off but landing stays on (brightly, as does outside light!).

Ok wiring arrangement:

3 wires coming in to switch box, A, B and C

Gang 1 (Hall Switch)
Common: Red wire (from A)
L1: Black wire with red sleeve (switched live I presume) (from A)
L1: Blue Wire (from C) - from outside light
L2: Nothing

Gang 2 (Landing Switch)
Common: Yellow Wire (from B)
L1: Red wire (from B)
L2: Blue wire with red sleeve (Switched live again?) (from B)
L2: Brown wire (from C) - outside light again!

2x earths from A and C onto earth terminal in back box.

Hope this makes sense!!!

p.s. everyone...I didn't wire this in by the way!! We've just moved in! :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help :D [/img]

Sorry you can't fix this without cable changes. You need to replace the twin and earth from the hall light with a 3+E so you can get a neutral as well as permanent live and switched live.

So wiring wise

landing switch as before.

permanant live from downstairs light to COM on both the downstairs light switch and the outside light switch.
switched live from downstairs light to L1 on downstairs light switch
live from outside light to L1 on outside light switch
neutral from downstairs light to neutral from outside light (using a peice of terminal block)

all earths to earth terminal in backbox

Hi all

I have drawn out the wiring arrangement but have just discovered that I can't 'paste' it into this window.

1) Go here: http://www.imageshack.us/ and install the toolbar for your browser, & reboot PC or restart browser as per instructions.

2) In whatever drawing tool you used, export/save as the drawing as a image file (GIF, JPG etc).

3) When posting here, drag'n'drop the image file from a Windoze Explorer window to the post window.

4) Job done.

Disclaimer - the value of your browser may go down as well as up. Instructions invalid where incorrect. If in doubt consult an independent computer consultant. Do not eat yellow snow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back