Replacing 5 bay window from ground floor bay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

A few bricks on the bottom of my bay window has been damaged (car drove into it).

Insurers have assessed and said it’ll cost £1200 to put right, plus another £2000 for a new set of bay windows.

The windows themselves are actually ok, but they said it’s because they are 15 years old.

Just wanted to ask, in order to rebrick below the bay window, the windows will need to come out.

How will the above tiles and window be supported?

Thanks
Z

Not my bay, but pretty much identical:
upload_2019-8-16_21-16-45.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-8-16_21-14-36.jpeg
    upload_2019-8-16_21-14-36.jpeg
    247.5 KB · Views: 460
Sponsored Links
Zeddd, good evening.

OK first of I work in various types of insurance Claims

The financial bit is [in my opinion LOW???]

There is a possibility of several structural issues that may not at present be appreciated ??

If it were me with this damage and making an Insurance claim, I would simply tell the Insurer to get there own "Preferred Contractors" to undertake the requisite repairs.

As an aside, all insurers have what are called "Preferred Contractors" or sometimes called " Panel Contractors" in effect a local to you Building Contractor who employs all trades, group of tradesmen.

it means that if you have an issue with workmanship, go back to the Insurer, it is the Insurer that will have to sort it out, if you accept a Cash Settlement, you are in effect on your own.

Not to mention as above the possibility of several "Structural Issues???"

Ken.

OP,
why not post pics of the outside and inside of the bay?
are you saying the ground floor brickwork and windows have to come out completely and then be re-built and new windows to match the old installed?
propping the first floor tile hanging and cantilevered bay will be simple enough.
interior work and decorating will also be necessary.

but if its just a case of removing and rebuilding the lower panel of brickwork then the ground floor windows can be supported while this work goes on.
if its cavity brickwork then it might be a much simpler and cheaper job?

3B4F6894-1B5E-4F93-9E47-3AE25E2C6E8F.jpeg E2B04279-5609-4ACE-91CB-F4A736575B05.jpeg E2AC28B7-CD1F-4148-8CFF-C8A55C81A464.jpeg 395A503F-3E26-4628-83B5-2B7EF682E567.jpeg 22E5D29F-2FC6-4F26-B7BA-8387FBED5A18.jpeg
OP,
why not post pics of the outside and inside of the bay?
are you saying the ground floor brickwork and windows have to come out completely and then be re-built and new windows to match the old installed?
propping the first floor tile hanging and cantilevered bay will be simple enough.
interior work and decorating will also be necessary.

but if its just a case of removing and rebuilding the lower panel of brickwork then the ground floor windows can be supported while this work goes on.
if its cavity brickwork then it might be a much simpler and cheaper job?

Thank you for your reply!

I am attaching some pictures here. The bricks that need reseating are predominantly in the middle, but some just under the window have moved slightly.

Also the window has moved away from the wall ever so slightly on one side.

The interior will defo need reskimming as a minimum.

I am attaching my pictures here.

I don’t think I’ll change my windows as they are still in very good condition although quite old.

Sponsored Links
The money on offer from Insurer is low!

Was it a cash settlement offer, if so reject it and request that the insurer sends in one of his suppliers and gets the work done?

Ken

The money on offer from Insurer is low!

Was it a cash settlement offer, if so reject it and request that the insurer sends in one of his suppliers and gets the work done?

Ken

Hi Ken

Yes it was a cash settlement offer. It’s actually even less than that as they will deduct £250 excess from above. Iit came to just a little over 3k if I take cash now.

The VAT can be claimed back once I send in a invoice from a contractor that is VAT registered.

I haven’t accepted the settlement yet. I was hoping the work would cost less than the payout (without replacing window), but it seemed very low to me too.

you might need to slip needles through the brickwork to support the frame while re-setting the dislodged brickwork takes place.

its a simple job to remove the rad, and all the plaster back to brick on the inside skin. dont touch the skirting.
check for cavity insulation?
you'll probably need to lift off the window board sections - do it gently and prise each one up, and slowly pull them out.
now remove and re-bed any bricks that have moved out of plane - the top of the skirting is your benchmark for keeping bricks and new plaster in plane.

gently ease the frame back into its original position - you might have to cut any fixings and then re-fix through the jambs.
when the frame is settled then fix the window boards.
you dont show the head of the frame or the jambs so i cant comment much more about them.

the correct position for your DPC should be in the bed below the airbricks (perhaps the path has raised the ground level) - but maybe its in that thick bed just above the airbricks?
now might be a good time to check on the condition of the joists that could be sitting in the bay?

i say "you" but curved work and needles really needs a bricklayer.

MOD: Sorry personal info is not permitted.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back