Replacing a 2 way switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Somehow I got roped into spending my Friday evening painting my Mum's kitchen. In the process of doing so I was thinking about replacing the light switch as it looks pretty manky on the freshly painted wall. Also, it would be nice to fit a wide rocker switch, as my Mum has arthritis, and should make turning the light on easier.

The setup is a 2 separate switches at each of the kitchen, operating a fluorescent strip light.

One switch has been helpfully tiled in, so that will be left. The one that I want to replace, after brief inspection doesn't seem to have an earth/ground. Is this an issue? The backplate appears to be metal, but the faceplate is plastic, and will be replaced with a plastic MK switch.

Also, the old switch has no markings, so my cunning plan of just putting L1 in L1 and L2 in L2 may have hit a snag :cool:

So, in summary, is the lack of earth an issue? ...and what will be the correct configuration to wire the existing cables to the new switch?

Cheers for any assistance with this.

Pics of the switch/box:

tJ9sPkb.png

Mva7Pj5.png

3Bt0DV7.png

GElNChA.png
[/url][/i]

Sponsored Links
Cheers for reply, Andy.

So L1/L2 are interchangeable?

Or will it be the case the switch will not operate correctly, if they are the wrong way round?

Sponsored Links
If you are pedantic, and find you can't have the light OFF with both switches in the OFF position, then simply swap the yellow and blue over. :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back