Replacing a 552 Baxi back boiler to take newer inset fire???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Although the 552 boiler is still working well the fire has had it.

As the choice of fire renewals is now very limited i was wondering if replacing the boiler to take one of the more modern inset fires is a good idea.

It will be a bit pricey but we have no intention of moving house anytime soon and also i cant bear the thought of changing our CH system altogether.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Regretfully if you change your boiler you have to go down the condensing boiler route (thank you vey much, Mr Prescott :evil: ) You cannot change like-for-like without having an assesment carried out to confirm that it is not possible to install a condensing boiler in your property.

As giblets has said really. Your best bet is to remove the BBU and have a new condensing boiler fitted, with a modern inset gas fire in place of the BBU.

Sponsored Links
as well as changing the boiler the copex liner "should" be renewed (depending on its age) as the copex needs to last the life span of the boiler, usual qoutes are 15 years, it might be worth getting a look at the exception criteria depending on your property type it isnt too hard to meet the points criteria and fit a new back boiler

Backboilers are getting very hard to come by and prices of them have shot up nd copex has doubled in price to

Ive got a new (still in box) top of the range inset sat in me garage, what do you think its worth?

Thanks for replies received.

Still not sure what to do. Only renewal suitable for my lounge is the GF3 would have preferred the VP3 :(
Is it worth paying out for the GF3 bearing in mind my 552 has got a lot of life left in it?
OR
IF we passed building regs we would need (have been told ??) a new liner and another pump upstairs to go with the newer back boiler?Is this worth doing?
OR
If we opt for a combi how much work is involved exactly and what is removed?

I value your opinions.
Sorry for the triple questions but thats a woman for you :rolleyes:

VP3 will fit onto your boiler ,who said it wouldn`t, but they are very expensive at around 700 quid and can take up to 2 months to come through

If you are allowed to replace the BBU you will have to have a new liner fitted, as the liner must be deemed to last the life of the new boiler.

Changing to a Combi is either very straightforward or a right pain in the a7se.

It all depends on accessability, suitability and convertability of your pipes.

Thanks once again for your imput.

The VP3 is no longer available sadly other than used ones on eBay.

The only 2 'living flame' fires available now are the GF3 and the SP3 and i think only a couple of C5 radiants

I dont think a corgi engineer will fit a used gas fire so it would have to be a new one.

The SP3 and the GF3 are about £895 :eek:

Thanks again...looks like its best to go with a combi then.

So on that note just had a phone quote. £1700....£1800 tops.
Btw all my rads are newish so i assume this was taken into consideration

Seems fair to me, though i have no idea at all as to pricing except that BG most certainly would have quoted double.

Just read on the forum NOT to get a Porterson primax ( you know what i mean ;) )
So how do i know whats a good one?

Ask - but be prepared for a long debate that will end with people suggesting:

Broag
Atag
Vaillant
Worcester

and my personal favourite

Atmos InterCombi - or if you are feeling flush - the Atmos Multi

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back