Replacing a 7kw shower with 8.5kw- minimum cable size

Thanks guys, I'll check the cable then decide
Just don't have the money for an electrician to come out for an RCD, so maybe I'll just repair the old crappy one
How "crappy" is the old crappy one. ? If really crappy and repaired in a less than perfect way then that is even more reason to have an RCD fitted.

The RCD does more than protect the circuit, it limits the duration of electrical shock to one that is less likely to be fatal.

If you save money by not having an RCD fitted for the shower then put the money you saved into your funeral funds.

Its not that bad, just not very powerful at all.

I'm really not trying to 'save' money, I just don't have money at the moment. I was just thinking I could scrape together £40 for a new slightly more powerful shower instead of £10 for the replacement pressure release device for the existing shower.

How much am I likely to have to shell out for an RCD to be fitted?
Guessing hundreds by the time they have checked and signed off everyrhing.?

Sponsored Links
Another electrical thread, descending into the regs state this the regs state that, jeez, why can't this forum give clear advice without descending into this verbiage all the time.

You must have an RCD fitted to the shower circuit end of. I don't care if money is tight, money won't matter if the worse happens.

How much am I likely to have to shell out for an RCD to be fitted?
It depends on what has to be done.

An RCD for a shower is less than £40

http://www.screwfix.com/search?search=shower+rcd

And for an electrician to fit it in the cable somewhere accessible between the consumer unit and the shower provided there is space would be less than an hours work.

I do err on the side of safety. Electric showers are generally safe but can become faulty, appear to have stopped working and hence apparently safe while in fact they are Live and extremely hazardous. It normally requires at least two faults to create a significant risk of electric shock though one fault could be an installation error that has been there un-noticed since the shower was installed

Another electrical thread, descending into the regs state this the regs state that, jeez, why can't this forum give clear advice without descending into this verbiage all the time.

You must have an RCD fitted to the shower circuit end of. I don't care if money is tight, money won't matter if the worse happens.
Well said :)
DS

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone.

I'll just replace the prd for now, rather than the whole shower.
It means there is still no RCD on the circuit for the time being but I'll get an electrician round to quote for fitting one.

Cheers

Hi, you can buy an rcbo to fit your existing consumer unit,even the original sentry NL range, check eBay. i have sold a few but have none at the moment.

I would argue that buying your new shower and using without an rcd ( sort term) is less of a risk, than continuing to use the old one without the rcd and a 45a breaker! by the way,you call sell that on eBay ! :D

Kind regards,

DS

Hi, you can buy an rcbo to fit your existing consumer unit,even the original sentry NL range, check eBay. i have sold a few but have none at the moment.

I would argue that buying your new shower and using without an rcd ( sort term) is less of a risk, than continuing to use the old one without the rcd and a 45a breaker! by the way,you call sell that on eBay ! :D

Kind regards,

DS

Thanks for that will have a look.
If you get a second and could send me a link that would be great.

Thanks!

That is, indeed, certainly arguable. However, given that the OP clearly needs to minimise costs, if I were in his position, I wouldn't even be thinking of changing the 45A MCB to a 40A one - whatever the shower's instructions may say (and however one chooses to interpret them), the 45A MCB does not represent a significant safety issue.

Of course, if the OP takes up your idea of an RCBO, then he might as well get a 40A one (presuming one is available for his CU), thereby keeping even the instructions happy.

Kind Regards, John

Because most electrical work is open to interpretation and design by the installer.
Plus, of course, the regulations are not very well written.

So, different methods may be discussed and then someone proposes something which is debatable or downright wrong leading to more discussion.

You must have an RCD fitted to the shower circuit end of
You see?
That may be true for safety but it is not the regulation in this thread.

I don't care if money is tight, money won't matter if the worse happens.
That is true so shall we give everyone enough money for a healthy life?

Hi, yes if that is the same range as the existing mbs that are in your board. The button at the top is the test button for the rcd.

There is an older 1980's board with a slide type breaker just make sure it's not that range.

Regards,

DS

Hi, well you'll get the rcbo no problem for that board.

The cable looks like 6.00mm.

Regards,

DS

It looks like 6.0mm from the CU to the isolator, and then 4.0mm from the isolator to the shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back