Replacing a Bathroom Extractor Fan

But as no one will know what the previous person had in mind about the colours - he may have been the last person on earth to use black for neutral - it really doesn't matter.

Sponsored Links
Yeah bit crazy are colours but hey. One more question though, the feed comes in through a round junction box which has red and black wires inside but the earth is twisted around the junction box. I guess that this is an age old method for doing this and nowadays all wiring should be housed correctly and neatly (if possible). I will probably replace this junction box, is there a newer method for these or does everyone still use the round ones? want to make it as easy as possible to connect up.

But as no one will know what the previous person had in mind about the colours - he may have been the last person on earth to use black for neutral - it really doesn't matter.
I agree totally. I personally really don't subscribe to this 'deprecation' of the use of brown as neutral. If anything, it would probably make more sense to encourage it, so long as there are people still alive who think of/remember black representing neutral!

Kind Regards, John

Yeah bit crazy are colours but hey. One more question though, the feed comes in through a round junction box which has red and black wires inside but the earth is twisted around the junction box. I guess that this is an age old method for doing this and nowadays all wiring should be housed correctly and neatly (if possible).
Correct. That old practice is no longer acceptable. All the wires should go to terminals within the junction box (the bare earth wires being sleeved with green/yellow sleeving) - and the outer sheathing of cables should go into the box (i.e. none of the individual cores should be visible from outside). Junction boxes with screwed terminals now need to be 'accessible' for inspection etc., and still are mainly round. For 'inaccessible' locations, 'maintenance-free' JBs are acceptable, and they are not round.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
This would ultimately be above the ceiling in the void, would this be classed as 'inaccessible' or should i just get a like for like round one?

This would ultimately be above the ceiling in the void, would this be classed as 'inaccessible' or should i just get a like for like round one?
Do you mean between ceiling and floorboards (or whatever) above? If so, that would count as 'inaccessible', in which case you would need something like this (click here):
ASJ804.JPG

If it is upstairs, and the JB is accessible from the roofspace, then you could use and ordinary round one.

Kind Regards, John

Its above the bathroom so can be reached by going through a cupboard in loft extension but its not particularly easy

Its above the bathroom so can be reached by going through a cupboard in loft extension but its not particularly easy
Is it appreciably 'less accessible' than the common situation of JBs on the floor of loft space above the rooms below (which most people would probably classify as 'accessible')? However, if in doubt, use one of the 'maintenance-free' JBs such as I indicated, since they do not need to be 'accessible'.

Kind Regards, John

Many thanks, looking at the Wago Box solution
Despite what the manufactuers claim, there is a fair degree of uncertainty as to whether Wagoboxes actually satisfy the requirements of the regulations for a 'maintenance-free' ('MF') (hence may be 'inaccessible') JB. The only ones which definitely are 'MF' are the Ashley/Hager ones to which I linked.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back