Replacing a bathroom mirror and light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

I am hoping to replace my separate mirror and light / shaver socket with a cabinet (with integrated light and socket).

The light and socket are in zone 2 and are connected to the lighting ring protected by an rcd at the cu.

I would like to replace them with an ip44 rated cabinet. However, the cabinet I have seen has 40cm of flex (including earth). How am I supposed to connect the mains cable to the flex?

Thanks
Rob

Sponsored Links
Well, most people would just use a connector block and tuck it out of the way.

If the present cable exits the wall in a position that will NOT be covered by the new cabinet you could sink a box into the wall and use a proper connector unit.

If it WILL be covered by the cabinet I would prefer soldering and covering with heat shrink tubing or self amalgamating tape, both of which will be waterproof.

Firstly are you aware of the regulations concerning electrical installation within bathrooms?

Yes. As I am replacing a fitting which is correctly rated it doesn't violate the rules.

As far as the connection is concerned, what exactly is the problem?

My question is how do I connect the flex cable with the mains? Given the environment a chocolate block is out of the question. And as the mains cable will be behind the cabinet a junction box can't be used (as I believe they should be able to be inspected easily). Or should I use a chocolate block on the other side of the wall?

Sponsored Links
If it WILL be covered by the cabinet I would prefer soldering and covering with heat shrink tubing or self amalgamating tape, both of which will be waterproof.

This is what i was wondering. Given that it will be in zone 2 does anyone see any problem with this approach?

Firstly are you aware of the regulations concerning electrical installation within bathrooms?

Yes. As I am replacing a fitting which is correctly rated it doesn't violate the rules.
Because it is correctly rated has nothing to do with you violating any rules, it is considered notifiable work as you are not replacing like for like.
Now that is illegal!

I think you could argue that replacing a light and shaver socket with a light and a shaver socket in an enclosure is like for like.

Just to be sure an electrician is popping over tonight.

In the mean time to solve my curiosity, would soldering be adequate?

Like for like or not -

The point being that the OP is not altering, extending or modifying the circuit in any way. He is merely putting a new appliance on the end of it.
Whether the new appliance is the spitting image of the old, but shiny, or a different design altogether is totally irrelevant.

It's a light and a shaver socket.

Is approved document part p not considered a statutory document? therefor non compliance to that is breaking the law.
The guide to part p in reference to table 2 note b states like for like, this is what a replacement is, you can hardly stick a juke box on it and because the circuit has not altered declare it a replacement.
If I get the op right they have different items of equipment to be replaced by one not quite like for like, and depending on the configuration of this existing circuit I can't see how it will not be altered to accommodate the new mirror/light/shaver socket.

I'm not sure if you are arguing with me or BAS still but -
Is approved document part p not considered a statutory document? therefor non compliance to that is breaking the law.
Yes it is.
The guide to part p in reference to table 2 note b states like for like, this is what a replacement is, you can hardly stick a juke box on it and because the circuit has not altered declare it a replacement.
Nor a Large Hadron Collider, but mentioning a juke box detracts from the argument. It is being replaced by a light and shaver socket for which the circuit is there.
If I get the op right they have different items of equipment to be replaced by one not quite like for like, and depending on the configuration of this existing circuit I can't see how it will not be altered to accommodate the new mirror/light/shaver socket.
It is having a flex attached to the end of it. He may cut off a short length to reveal shiny copper for the new terminals. That is not the definition of 'altering' a circuit.

Is approved document part p not considered a statutory document?
No.

therefor non compliance to that is breaking the law.
No.

The guide to part p in reference to table 2 note b states like for like,
Invented by the writer(s). The law does not say that.

this is what a replacement is, you can hardly stick a juke box on it and because the circuit has not altered declare it a replacement.
The law says you can.

Never mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back