Replacing a ceiling rose with a light that only has L/N/E co

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon

We've just purchased a spotlight for the office room and it only has LNE connectors in it.

The current set up is a standard ceiling rose which carries on round the upstairs lighting circuit.

I have had a quick look in the wiki, as this covers the conundrum I am in, however the wiki page says "Using a choc-box would be better than wrapping tape around chock block" at the top.

What is a choc-box and would getting one of these help me?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, the dimensions of the base are 95mm diameter x 28mm deep. This currently contains some wiring for the spotlight and a 3 terminal connector block.

If absolutely necessary I can make a hole in the ceiling above the light to house cabling/connectors. Regarding accessibility - yes - it is the loft so I can get at the space above.

Sponsored Links
Can you post a photo of the base? I'm thinking it will be possible to put an additional piece of block in there and use the base to house the connections. Don't make a hole and poke the connections through - they need to be enclosed in a chock box or similar (or in the lamp base).

Another option would be to install a junction box or a chock box above to house the connections between the wires, then run one twin and earth cable to the light.

Aye, there's plenty of room in there to put another piece of terminal block to make up the 4 required pieces (as the pics show in the wiki).
Remember to make a note of which wires are which, and don't let that piece of brown sleeve fall off that blue wire either (switch live)!!

Cheers mate, when you refer to terminal block is that the stuff which there are already 3 "units" of within the new light?

It's like a bit of brass with a screw connnection at each end covered in clear plastic!

Would I be OK connecting the loop to this as explained in the wiki, then the rest of the neutrals to the other terminal block? I could then get a choc box for the terminal with the loop connections, and hopefully that should be the job done to the right standard!

Thanks for your help

Yes, providing the terminal block provided in the lamp is large enough you can fit the neutrals, earths and switch live connection to there, use the additional piece to connect all of the permanent lives together.

I could then get a choc box for the terminal with the loop connections
The whole point of putting the extra terminal block inside the lamp base is to remove the need for a choc-box. Which wouldn't fit inside the base anyway...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back