Replacing a ceiling rose with just three red wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please. I have removed a ceiling rose to hang a chanderlier with a L/n/E connection but I have now realised that the wires from the ceiling are not standard.

The are three wires, one red, another red with a grean and yellow, another red with a bit of black tape on it.
I was epecting to see some black wires too.
How do I connect this to L/N/E?

Sponsored Links
black tape is neutral, green / yellow tape is earth , the red with no tape is live..
they've probably extended the too short cables with what they had and stuffed the connectors back up the hole..

Ok so that accounts for the single red, the red with tape, but what about the red which is shared with the earth wire?

Sponsored Links
Three grey wires coming in:
1, red
2, red with black tape
3, Contains two wires, one red one earth

Thanks.

Ah.

I think all of us, (see ColJack's post for example) thought that when you said "three wires, one red, another red with a grean and yellow, another red with a bit of black tape on it" you meant 3 wires, not 4....
:rolleyes:

And perhaps when ColJack talked about "green / yellow tape is earth " you could have clarified then.

Is the red in the same cable as the green/yellow connected to it?

Do you have a multimeter, and know how to use it?

Sorry for be not being clear enough in the first instance.

the other red does indeed share the same cable as the green and yellow wire. Unfortunately I do not have a multimeter.

Thanks again

Give me strength.

Is the red in the same cable as the green/yellow
connected to it?

You need a multimeter and some connectors to do some testing, will cost you about £12/15 from a DIY shed like B&Q, incidently, half or less than a call out from a sparky and you get the benefit of using the multimeter next time.

Just out of interest, wat cables are in the switch for this light and how are they connected??

In the dimmer switch there are also three red wires and one earth.
Two reds are connected to 'c' the other one is connected to'L1'. earth is connected to earth.

PS. I've been trying to remember how they were connected in the ceiling rose. I'm almost certain that red (1) and red with black tape (2) were both connected to the 'N' point. the other red 3 was either connected to the 'loop' or 'line'. the old light fitting one wire was connected to 'N' and one to 'LINE'.

Hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back