Replacing a Dimmer Switch -Help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just removed a brass dimmer switch and I am trying to replace it with a plastic one. The new switch has 3 parts labelled L1, L2 and ~. i have 3 wires (1 red, 1 black and an earth). Does anyone have any idea what wire goes where?

Sponsored Links
yes, look in sticky for referance, there is exactly what you want there (even got a brass dimmer too)

I have just figured out what you meant by this but I'm afraid I can't really follow it. Is anyone able to tell me what wire goes where? As this is now a plastic switch, do I need to do anthing with the earth?

Sponsored Links
No offence, but if you can't follow the advice in the sticky, what're you doing changing the switch??????

mst said:
L1 red....L2black and earth to the screw in the flush back box

check it!
I don't think so, maybe ~ red and L1 black (with a red sleeve) and earth to the back box.

Thanks, does the earth need to go into any of these 3 parts? It is already connected to the screw in the back box but there is still an end with nowhere to go.

Not if the new switch is plastic (double insulated). Just connect the supply earth to the back box and remove the old linking wire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back