Replacing a facial board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an exterior wall that is lined with slates and inclined at about a 5/10 degree angle from the vertical (So very steep)

The facia board and the gutter was blown off in the wind and when I attempt to fix it back using new nails/screws in the existing holes there is no purchase .

The slates are in good order and I could drill new holes to try and locate firm wood behind them but I don't know where these places would be.

As it is a short length of facia +/- 8 foot) might I attempt to glue the new facia with gorilla glue or similar?

The existing slates are very even and so would provide a good surface.

I don't feel up to removing the slates and examining the wood behind ,especially as there are bees living there :)

Edit :can't seem to edit the title with it's mention of "facial boards":rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Are you saying it was previously fixed to slates? Sounds dodgy
Normally fascia board is nailed to rafter feet, is that not the case?

Are you saying it was previously fixed to slates? Sounds dodgy
Normally fascia board is nailed to rafter feet, is that not the case?
Yes ,it was nailed to the rafters' feet through holes in the slates.

Clearly the nails have come loose and I can tell that I cannot simply replace the old nails with longer ,thicker nails (or screws)

I will have to drill new holes and hope to find the rafters feet and hope that they are still good enough to take a nail (or screw).

But do I have the option of gluing the facia board to the slates? I know it sounds less than amateurish but hammering in nails will likely wake up the bees and I don't have a good escape route if they go for me ...

Sponsored Links
I had a group of ( solitary) bees under a path I wanted to move - had to leave the job until they went. Best to get an expert to look @ them . Plenty of apis takers here on diynot :whistle:

Actually I approached the area by ladder yesterday (instead of from above) and it felt safer as I could "rattle their cage" before going up and there are days in winter when they are very inactive (not today as it is quite warm)

And I think I will attempt to drill through the slates looking for sound wood behind.

And I will have to be patient......

It is not easy to move these bees as it would mean breaking into the edge of the flat roof ( bee keepers have turned down the offer of a free hive and I am very reluctant to kill them although I might be able to evict them at the right time of the year when they have a chance to relocate)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back